Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's been lot's of talk about the 1157 LED bulb not worth the money, but I had to find out for myself. I purchased a pair of 32 LED 1157's for $12 on ebay to put them to the test.

Here's what I found...

They are bright-much more so than filament bulbs, but they are directional light. When I installed them, I noticed that they point slightly down so they didn't appear as bright as original bulbs so I bent one of the sockets up slightly. That made a lot of difference and I like the look: very bright circles of red light (I ordered red LED's) like two alien eyes looking at you.

So I just saved some watts by switching over to LED's.

Tonight I took the bike out to pick up some treats for my kids at the local mini mart. When I pulled in, a guy in a pickup following me said "Dam those lights are bright" so I know it is an improvement.

But wait, there's more...

The bike was fully warmed up when parked. When I started it up, I was ready for my normal routine of hot start issues (I'm nursing a 7 year old DieHard wet battery) but it fired right up.

Ok, so I was lucky, or was I...

I wanted to heat it up so I took it out on the interstate for a few miles then round some backroads on the way home (5 miles) keeping the RPM under 4k to put a load on the charging system. Just to make sure the engine was hot, I let it idle in the garage until the fan came on. I turned it off (fan continued to run) then on again and touched the starter button. It fired right up.

Conclusion: The LED bulbs save just enough wattage to let the ignition coils fire the plugs when hot. I always did have a hunch that when hot, the coils didn't get enough juice to start the bike.

Style and function for $12. I'll post some picts this week.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
27 Posts
I changed all the bulbs (except the headlight) with leds, which I bought from Superbrightleds.com...Changed also the blinker unit. 4 reasons for that:
1) they last longer
2) they are brighter
3) they are faster (they turn on and off instantly)
4) they pull less on the battery

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
It's a common problem with LED's. You need to replace the blinkers with heavy duty/ electronic blinkers.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts