Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas? I bought a 2000 vn750 6000 miles. it was hard starting and loud backfire on deceleration. I just got the carbs synced and mixture screw adjusted. still hard starting and backfire during decel. I corked the emitons reed valves that put oxygen into the headers and that eliminated the backfire with no other complications, but its still hard starting when its hot.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Several things can help with the hard, hot starting:

1) Installing a maintenance-free (sealed) battery, if you haven't already;

2) Relocating your regulator/rectifier as suggested elsewhere on this website (again, if you haven't already);

3) Switching to iridium spark plugs;

4) Rewiring your bike's starting electricals, per Fergy's procedure (see/click on the link inside Fergy's signature, labelled "coil mod with photos").

One (or more) of those should help. I would try them in the above listed order.

·
Geek
872 Posts
^^^^^ Yea, what he said.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check all the connections from the battery to the starter to make sure they are clean, and the Neg cable from the battery to ground. Check you're battery. Took mine to Autosone and had loadtested it was bad.. When cold and a full charge mine would start fine but hot turned over slow and backfired, also would kill the battery very fast.
Took it to dealer new battery checked out fine(not MF Bought a wet cell from autozone. Didn't want to wait for a MF to be instock) they cleaned electical connections, and it helped but did not fix the hot start issues. Ended up being the starter itself at a $630 bill and 3 weeks with no bike(needed a new fan switch also). Now when i wanto start my bike hot or cold or after stoping for gas or heading into the store for a pack of gum it starts when I hit the button!!!!!!!!!

relocating the R/R, Sparkplugs, a MF battery will help and is better then the factory defaults.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks! ill look into into it, but i think it might be a backpriasure issue due to the baffles being completlely reemed out by previous owner. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
#1 from "theauhawk" usually solves the problem. There is also an extra coil wire mod that may help/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Low back pressure might make it lose lower end power, but it wont affect how the bike starts. I just relocated the regulator on my gf's VN750 and it fixed the hot start problem for me/her. The cooler the reg is the better for the whole charging system. Very easy mod too.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Due to the number of folks who had the same issue with hot starting, I'd be willing to say by doing the top 3 things on the list, you will have a high percentage of eliminating the problem.

When I purchased my bike, the PO told me of the difficulty he had starting the bike and told me his 'procedure' of gasing, choking & tongue holding to get it to start. After a couple of rides, I found myself doing some sort of 'ritual' and praying to get it to start right after I shut it off.

I did the MF batt, R&R relocate and iridium plugs- and I can start it anywhere, anytime. And, man it feels good!

Good luck and let us know your progress.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I put in the MF battery about a week and a half ago and I have had no hot start problems since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts