Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Is it normal, after a ride for the final drive to be HOT!? Not after climbing a mountain, just like a 10 mile (45 mph) ride around my area and it feels pretty warm. Just wondering if that is normal. We changed the gear oil when we lubed the splines about 3 years ago.

Thanks, Chris

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sound normal to me. The differential on a rear wheel drive car or truck gets hot enough that you can`t keep your hand on it for very long after a long drive. You only have ~5 oz of gear oil in the vn750 final drive, so check the level to be sure it isn`t dry. Barring some really odd circumstance, if you have correct amount of 75W-90 gear oil in the final drive, all should be well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We used 80w-90 conventional oil. isn't the 75w-90 the synthetic stuff? it is full btw. we are changing the oil/ filter, and the gear oil today, let u know how it shakes out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I replaced my rear drive several thousand miles ago and I asked the same question. Well the guys here told me it was normal and it's doing fine today. And yes it does get rather warm....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. ride on!

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
remember the rear shoes are inside the wheel ... heat transfers rather quickly through it

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
We used 80w-90 conventional oil. isn't the 75w-90 the synthetic stuff? it is full btw. we are changing the oil/ filter, and the gear oil today, let u know how it shakes out.
There is straight 80w, 90w, or 80w-90 and 75W-90 multiweight gear oil.
Depending on temperature where you ride, any of them are fine.
Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts