Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what those things are called - and where I can get just a big bag of various shapes and/or sizes? It's those clamps at the end of the various hoses on the bike that keep it on tight. They don't have them at the auto shops around here - only the ones that are like metal belts where you screw them to tighten.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
I get those at the local be-it-all home repair chain store of your choice. Menards, Fleet Farm, Lowes... etc. Never seen a big bag assortment though. Usually a few of the same size to a bag or bins of different sizes to pick from. Plumbing section. Oh, and called simply hose clamps. You can leave off the "thingys" if you wanna act hip and in-the-know to the local employee. :)

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I think he means the ones that are the compression clip type. BUt I also believe that they are still called hose clamps cause that's the purpose they serve. I prefer the ones with the screws, since you can "accidentally" get one that's a little too big and still make it work.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
Thanks AJCruzin. I see that now on second reading - read too fast because work gets in the way - the poster meant NOT the strap screw type. I have seen the other spring type hose clamp stuff around too, both the flat and round kind... I'm thinking it was in the same type of store, it might still have been plumbing around the stuff you typically need for appliance minor repairs. But I second the thought that if you find something that works better than the original - use it.

Now that I think about it more it was probably at a farm supply type store.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've always refered to them as 'Spring Clamps'

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
You can get an assortment of sizes from Harbor Freight HERE. But they're the gear-type (with screw or key) only. Very convenient to have around.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Does anyone know what those things are called - and where I can get just a big bag of various shapes and/or sizes? It's those clamps at the end of the various hoses on the bike that keep it on tight. They don't have them at the auto shops around here - only the ones that are like metal belts where you screw them to tighten.
If I have a choice between the spring type hose clamp and a screw tight one, I will take the screw type every time. A friend of mine ran his own auto repair shop for 20 years, and would routinely throw out the spring steel hose clamps and replace them with screw and a flat strap/band type. He did this simply because he had fewer customers coming back with a hose dripping from using a clamp that was too weak. JMHO

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea - I mean the MOOSE type. This is great - although now you guys have me thinking of using the screw types. HMMMM. Thanks everyone, I'm good to go.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
If I have a choice between the spring type hose clamp and a screw tight one, I will take the screw type every time. A friend of mine ran his own auto repair shop for 20 years, and would routinely throw out the spring steel hose clamps and replace them with screw and a flat strap/band type. He did this simply because he had fewer customers coming back with a hose dripping from using a clamp that was too weak. JMHO
That's exactly why I hate that type. Especially the really thin ones with tiny loops on the end. It's near impossible to get em off without wrecking them. At least for my gorilla hands! Given the choice, I will nearly always take the screw type. The exception being on the coolant hoses on my truck. They just work in that application, but on my bikes, I keep a good stock of them for anytime I pull a spring clamp off, and always replace it with a screw type.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
Always gotta have the right tool. Ring clamp pliers make them a breeze. Don't know if they'd work with the ear type. I know my tool has interchangeable ends, but have only used one and don't remember what the others look like. I finally got the special pliers after getting tired of ruining the clamps on my lawn tractor doing maintenance on it. But I'm still with you on replacing them with the screw type.

Ever see the screw type in black anywhere?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts