Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Horns

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  DavesVulster 
#1 · (Edited)
Many of the horn upgrades are horns that use more power than stock, requiring wiring a relay to avoid burning out your switch.

Saw this on the Feeger forum, a new horn by PIAA that uses the same power as most stock horns. Bolts on the same and uses the same blade connections. Plug and play. You can leave one stock horn and use only one of these:

http://www.compacc.com/p/PIAA-Slimline-Sports-Horn/1603005

I would guess you could use two also. I think this is a 2 horn kit:

http://www.amazon.com/85114-400Hz-5..._2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1322849680&sr=1-2

#3 ·
Thanks Knifemaker. This is a decent horn. 112 decibels and the Stebel Nautilus is 115 (at 6ft) so it's a good contender. I wondered about the current draw with an aftermarket horn.

#4 ·
The popular replacements...the Stebel, the Wolo, and the Freeway Blasters all use more juice and require to be rewired with the horn button on a relay. Not a problem to those who know what to do, but a pain for the electronicly impaired...lol.

Many of the horms that don't need the relay are not much louder than the stock units.

These PIAA horns use from 0.5 amp more to 1.0 amp less, making them ideal plug and play replacements..

#6 · (Edited)
Good info. I noticed that stebel's specs say 139db at 4 inches. I wouldn't want to measure that with my ears, no thanks ;)

#7 ·
Can't find it at the moment, but most independent tests of manufacturer's horn ratings found that they grossly exaggerated their db output. There is no certifying board, so they can claim whatever they want!

IIRC, noise levels approximately double every three db. In other words, 115 db is twice as loud as 112 db.

#8 ·
x2 on the independent tests & exaggerated factory claims.
:beerchug:

#9 ·
Wow. Thanks for the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.