Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MO Rider
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody put car horns on instead of the 'ee' 'ee' horns? Or electric 'air' horns?

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Lots of folks have put on Stebel Nautilus, Wolo Bad Boy, Fiamms, Hela, and other types in an effort to be better heard. I opted for two Wolo Bad Boy horns. On most of these, you'll need to install a relay as the stock wiring is too puny to provide full power to the horns.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I put on a set of car horns from a local parts store $16 each. 1 high and 1 low tone sound great and lets people know you are there. No need to add a relay but will have to do just a bit of tweeking to get them to fit in the factory position. There is a pic in my profile of how they look.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have a set of Fiamm Freeway Blasters (pretty much identical to baldy`s above), fit to my 750, but I do need a relay. The standard wiring will not even give me a peep. Ma Kawi`s beep, beep roadrunner horns are rated at 2.5 amps. The Fiamms are rated at 5 amps. I just picked up a Wolo Bad Boy (identical to Stebel Nautilus compact) airhorn, but cannot find any power rating on it. Someone else said they are 20 amp, but I cant`t verify that. It does need a relay for sure.

All I needed to do, to mount the Fiamms, was remove the rubber mounting grommet for the OEM horns and cut a small metal plug to fill all but the top notch in the bracket where the stud on the new horn goes through. I wanted the horns mounted as high as possible to keep them away from the fender. It was fiddley to get a snug fit, but all I needed was a piece of 1/8 inch strap metal to cut the plug from, a hack saw, a fine flat and ~1/4" diameter round file, and a vise to hold the work piece while I shaped it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
NO ONE HERE CAN BEAT THESE HORNS!!!
youtube

DT

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have Stebel Dual TM80 Magnum Horns. As loud as the air horns, but more reliable. Will fit where the original Road Runner horns were, but you will need a relay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My duel stock horns seem to be heard quite well for keeping cars from sharing my lane, usually moving in front from Right to Left.

I did manually 'spread' them apart so they angle a little more to the sides instead of just straight ahead.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts

·
MO Rider
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a set of Fiamm Freeway Blasters (pretty much identical to baldy`s above), fit to my 750, but I do need a relay. The standard wiring will not even give me a peep. Ma Kawi`s beep, beep roadrunner horns are rated at 2.5 amps. The Fiamms are rated at 5 amps. I just picked up a Wolo Bad Boy (identical to Stebel Nautilus compact) airhorn, but cannot find any power rating on it. Someone else said they are 20 amp, but I cant`t verify that. It does need a relay for sure.

All I needed to do, to mount the Fiamms, was remove the rubber mounting grommet for the OEM horns and cut a small metal plug to fill all but the top notch in the bracket where the stud on the new horn goes through. I wanted the horns mounted as high as possible to keep them away from the fender. It was fiddley to get a snug fit, but all I needed was a piece of 1/8 inch strap metal to cut the plug from, a hack saw, a fine flat and ~1/4" diameter round file, and a vise to hold the work piece while I shaped it.
This relay, off the shelf, have to order? Only one kind?

·
MO Rider
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only have one silver round horn but have extra wires hanging that are the same colors. Need all wires for bigger horn?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
This relay, off the shelf, have to order? Only one kind?
I only have one silver round horn but have extra wires hanging that are the same colors. Need all wires for bigger horn?
You can buy a standard automotive relay online, or at any good auto parts store. It will typically be rated at 30 or 40 amps, and have 4 or 5 male spade connector pins. It may or may not come with a base and wiring harness. The pins typically will be marked with the numbers 30 (or36), 85, 86 and 87. Here is a link to fergys relay coil mod.
http://pages.tstar.net/~fergy/writeups/coil_relay_mod.html

You hook up the circuit basicly the same way, but use one pair of the original wires to the horn for the trigger, then install the horn instead of the coils in his diagram. Don`t forget to put a fuse in the circuit too.

A simpler, but more expensive way is to order everything including the harness from Eastern Beaver.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/Horn_Kits/horn_kits.html

They have more pictures and installation diagrams too. It might be easier for you to visualize what you are working with here. Their relays in the pics are a lot more streamlined than mine. My relays are perhaps a 1 1/2 inch cube, with the base it plugs into being that big again.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Other then having an extremely loud horn, I don't see the need to add horns that need a relay. You can get 2 car horns and put them in the same place as our factory horns and no need to modify anything. The loud horns I believe are just for bragging rights of extremely loud horns.

I have said it many times. You can light up your bike like a christmas tree, wear bright clothing, have open exhaust, and air horns on your bike but it still doesn't help with the idiotic drivers out there. Most are in a hurry to get nowhere, looking down texting, or talking on their cell phones and it is up to us to watch out for them.

Why add more expensive and power draining stuff on the bike when simple alertness can be your best defense.

I put the car horns on for wildlife. They seem to move faster from a car horn rather then thinking a bug is buzzing around them.

·
MO Rider
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For whatever reason I have only one original horn, with two are they a high and low tone? Maybe I should just get it replaced. But when I did put the car horn on there I couldn't get any sound out of it. Tried both sets of wires and adjusted the tone screw, so don't know why you say don't need relay but others do, maybe the type of horn.

·
Registered
796 Posts
For whatever reason I have only one original horn, with two are they a high and low tone? Maybe I should just get it replaced. But when I did put the car horn on there I couldn't get any sound out of it. Tried both sets of wires and adjusted the tone screw, so don't know why you say don't need relay but others do, maybe the type of horn.
It sounds like maybe a bad connection or ground because I have used these horns on my 93' and 01' with no problems or relays needed. I just got the basic car horns a high and low tone. The factory horns are the same tone I believe.

·
Registered
796 Posts
How is your battery? A low battery will effect the horns, factory or car horns.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
The reason I went to louder horns is to be heard better. The stock horns aren't all that loud to me, and I'm out in the open right next to them. When I need a horn, I want one that has a chance of being heard inside the cage at whatever speed I'm traveling.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I like the loud horns personally, if nothing else it shocks the cage drivers to hear that much sound come from something this small.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I like the loud horns personally, if nothing else it shocks the cage drivers to hear that much sound come from something this small.
Exactly. It is a personal preference of what someone wants and how much they want to pay to achieve that. I personally think that regular car horns that cost $16 each and no mods needed can attract just as much attention as some air horns or others that cost $50+ plus having to add a relay which cost X amount. Just giving eberghold different opinions and options.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It sounds like maybe a bad connection or ground because I have used these horns on my 93' and 01' with no problems or relays needed. I just got the basic car horns a high and low tone. The factory horns are the same tone I believe.
Baldy, I have a hi/lo pair of automotive style Fiamm Freeway Blasters, rated at 132dB, and are marked that they draw 5 amps. The Kawi OEM horns are marked 2.5 amps. I tried hooking up the original wires to the Fiamms, and get absolutely no sound from them, not even a beep or a click. Using a jumper cable direct to a battery I get a good blast. I double checked the wiring again with the Kawi horns, and they still work, so the wiring is fine.

I would like to know why your bike will power the auto style horns and mine won`t. :confused:

I suppose that if some of the individual wire strands were broken inside the insulation, that could account for the difference. BUT the horn wires appear undamaged.

I also don`t want to burn out the bike`s horn switch, as I did by just using a switch w/o a relay on a small air horn in my pick-up truck.

Do your horns have any markings indicating the amperage they draw?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts