Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to ride home tonight in the rain. Spent most of the ride with my finger on the horn button, just in case someone decided to pull out in front of me. I had just installed a new Bad-Boy air horn a couple weeks ago so I was sure they would hear it :)

Traffic was slow and no one pulled in front of me, so I didn't have to use the horn. When I got home the garage door clicker was in my saddle bag, so I hit the horn for one of the kids to come out and open the door.

Hit the button an NO horn, nothing, nada not even a chirp.

I assumed I blew the fuse on the horn, after pulling the seat the fuse was fine. Tried the horn again and it worked, nice ringing in the ears, since the garage door was closed

If never had a problem with the old horn, I have to say I haven't used it a lot. I did use the new one a couple days ago, when some dope teenager pulled out in front of me. I think half the town heard it then.

Any way. Any ideas on why the horn might not work in the rain?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have you checked the insulation of the horn wiring. Possible it could have managed to ground itself while the seat was on, then once seat was removed, it was not touching the metal frame and voila... you horn is working again.

I am no electrician by any stretch of the imagination, I wonder if it is possible to draw too many amps through the wire that is not meant for prolonged current and subsequently damaged/melted the wire. I don't really know the answer, I am just throwing this out there as a 'possible' idea ????

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It sounds to me like a loose connection somewhere.
I assume you used a relay in the circuit.
Did you make your own wiring harness using crimp on connectors?
The fact that it worked when the seat was removed, makes me believe that a wire moved and a connector made contact again.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
One thing you want to make sure of is that the trumpet part (opening) is on the bottom, even tipped down a bit so water doesn't make it's way up into the horn. Usually when that happens you at least get a weak little warble.
Air horns do take a little bit to recharge too

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies

All the wiring to the horn is new except the old horn wires to the new relay. I mounted the horn vertical under the left air intake, so water should not be a problem. I also checked the wiring under the seat, nothing looks pinched.

I'll keep an eye on it and test it a bit more when I'm on a deserted raod. Those air horns are loud.:smiley_th

·
Kawika
441 Posts
I don't know if it was covered, but the relay needs to be in a dry location also...I have mine in the headlight bucket. I don't believe the relay cases are designed to be directly in the line of rain water. heavy rain could cause an internal short, but may dry up after a while and begin to work again.

good luck...:smiley_th

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if it was covered, but the relay needs to be in a dry location also...I have mine in the headlight bucket. I don't believe the relay cases are designed to be directly in the line of rain water. heavy rain could cause an internal short, but may dry up after a while and begin to work again.

good luck...:smiley_th
Good point. I have the relay under the left side cover with the reflector on it. I'd guess it does get wet in there. I did pull the seat off within 10 minutes of getting home, I'm not sure how much would have dried out in that short a time. I'll pull the cover off and add some waterproofing to the relay just to be safe.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts