Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 92 750 that I just picked up. All lights, turns, horn and brake lights work. Except when I press the start button. Nothing happens and not a single sound from it. I did find this part on the upper left side and hoping this part is starter related. What is it? I'm getting no reading as you can see on the pic, even when I press or depress the starter button.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
First off you are trying to test for power on two positive charged wires with out going to a ground... Red wire is constant battery voltage, black wire is a intermittent positively charged wire for collapsing the ignition coil... But neither wire has any thing to do with the starter turning the engine over... In another thread I posted up a few starter and ignition diagrams, I would start there. Have you checked for voltage at the starter button?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off you are trying to test for power on two positive charged wires with out going to a ground... Red wire is constant battery voltage, black wire is a intermittent positively charged wire for collapsing the ignition coil... But neither wire has any thing to do with the starter turning the engine over... In another thread I posted up a few starter and ignition diagrams, I would start there. Have you checked for voltage at the starter button?

You are right! It had nothing to do with the starter lol... I just took a screw driver and connected the 2 ends on the starter solenoid and she CRANKS! Booya!

My starter button I think is fried!

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
You are right! It had nothing to do with the starter lol... I just took a screw driver and connected the 2 ends on the starter solenoid and she CRANKS! Booya!

My starter button I think is fried!
I'm right huh.. As if I know nothing about these bikes, and even less about the electrical system. I guess you must be right then... Carry on.. Peace out

·
Registered
468 Posts
check the switch also the run stop switch. check that you are getting power to both. the start button and switch.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Help! So I checked voltage on both the run/stop switch and cleaned the metal contacts on the start button with a wire mesh brush. I put the thing back together including the spring. As soon as I pushed the start button - a little spark and POOF!!! All the lights are now dead! I checked the main fuze box and all 4 are good. What did I mess up? Is there another fuse box by any chance?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Spark from you starter button? Your ignition switch couls have taken a hit. That would explain the lights noy working but fuses ok.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spark from you starter button? Your ignition switch couls have taken a hit. That would explain the lights noy working but fuses ok.
I saw/heard a little spark when I pressed the Start button. Hopefully the ignition switch is not expensive. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts