Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's another one for the Vulcan File of Stupid Questions (I hope mine aren't the only ones in there): I want to check the idle speed on my bike and adjust, if needed. Bought a portable tach yesterday, so I'm on teh right track. The Clymer's says, "Hook up according to manufacturer's instructions." My manufacturer's instructions are mostly for cars, GM to be exact (I guess there's some "adaptor" they included for GM vehicles). I know the black clip is my ground, and the green clip goes to...Something Very Important. But can anyone tell me what that Something is?

Thanks.

·
Geek
872 Posts
I'm curious, why get a tach when you have one above the handle bars ?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would guess that the one she purchased is more acurate for testing...wish I had the answer for her ?? everyone must be out riding today, it might take a while Cindy

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's it exactly - accuracy to the nth degree (ha). Plus, if there's any problem with the tach on the bike, it's hard to ascertain how to set the idle.

I've got all day to wait - new errands to run all of a sudden, so I'm in no hurry.

Thanks, Guys!
C

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why not splice into the feed for the factory tach? Just cut the wire and add a weatherproof bullet connector. Then you can disconnect factory tach and hook up the test tach.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I find myself adjusting the idle to whatever I think sounds good.
Seems like sometimes, first thing in the morning, I might turn it up a bit. Then, as I'm riding and the bike warms up, it'll need turned back down a little.
I doubt a week has gone by that I didn't adjust up or down at some point.
Usually, I try to keep it just at about 1K.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
You bought a tach? Hahahhahahaha. For the nth degree? Hahahahhhahah. What are you going to do if the bike ever skips a beat? Get a new engine? Hahahhahahhaha.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Play nice Ernie! you could be needing her help someday...

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I'm sorry Cindy. I know how hard it can be NOT to go overboard when buying things for your precious. But, I must laugh at you nonetheless.

·
Registered
495 Posts
:smiley_th Good boy...

I have bought way too much stuff for my bike since July, when I got it. But I just can't see where it all went... let's see, 2 oil changes... splines lubed... 3 sets of bags and supports (two of which I sold or sent back) a rear rack... tools to replace the gawdawful ones included in the tool box on the bike...A 27mm socket which I can't get to open to check the rear drive oil (I need a longer handle on my ratchet)...an adapter for the 27mm socket (to go from a 3/8 inch drive to a 1/2 inch drive...it is becoming very expensive...

But it is the best mistress I have ever had. It doesn't go out without me, it doesn't take what I buy and take it to a pawn shop, I enjoy every minute I am with it, it never talks back or yells at me... Are you getting the idea? All in all, good money spent. And in this case, it has made me a very happy woman. :rockon:

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
For the 27mm, use your ratchet with a piece of pipe on the end.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
cegodsey said:
For the 27mm, use your ratchet with a piece of pipe on the end.
You mean a 'Persuader'

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
kait said:
But it is the best mistress I have ever had. It doesn't go out without me, it doesn't take what I buy and take it to a pawn shop, I enjoy every minute I am with it, it never talks back or yells at me... Are you getting the idea? All in all, good money spent. And in this case, it has made me a very happy woman. :rockon:

I agree so much, thats why I call mine Serinity. Gives me the peace and happiness I need. Just feel the stress blowing away in the wind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You guy's are always doing this....Lets' answer the girls question...

I was going to try mine this weekend but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I am guessing that we need to attach it to the coil. I see on the wiring diagram that the tach (on the bike) wire (black) goes into the igniter and to the #1 coil ( I can not see the coil on the bike now to tell you if it is right or left), so I surmise we use the black wire on the coil to attach the external tach and the other wire to ground (frame or battery). That should work, if not PM me and I will have an answer tomarrow.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ernesto, I am an anthropologist by training, not an EE...so if you told me there was some issue in, say, hmmmm....Arkansas about electrical engineers and cultural adaptation ('specially while wearing fishnet hose), I could handle that in an instant - give you a full analysis, and maybe even offer solutions (like, "ditch the parasol"). :pepper:

For my baby, if Clymer's says, "use a portable tach to adjust the idle speed," what the heck do I know? Besides, my partner's got a Suzuki S40 and it doesn't have a tach...at all. Kinda hard to figure out the proper idle speed when there's nothing to go by but my culturally trained ears.

Kait, thank you; I've bought lots of stuff, too, and even though I've had to return some things, I don't regret a penny spent.

dta, thank you; I'll give your VERY KIND suggestion a try. :smiley_th

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Nah, take the tach back, unless your bike has one of those flakey tachs.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What, oh what, should I do with the money that I get when I return the tach? A chrome something-or-other? Some more Moly 60? A breaker bar for Kait so she doesn't have to go ISO a pipe?

:)

·
Geek
872 Posts
kait said:
:smiley_th Good boy...
It doesn't go out without me, it doesn't take what I buy and take it to a pawn shop, I enjoy every minute I am with it, it never talks back or yells at me... Are you getting the idea? All in all, good money spent. And in this case, it has made me a very happy woman.

IT doesn't spend your money, doesn't want alimony, doesn't get drunk and end up in a hotel.....

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Crobins365 said:
What, oh what, should I do with the money that I get when I return the tach? A chrome something-or-other? Some more Moly 60? A breaker bar for Kait so she doesn't have to go ISO a pipe?

:)
Um, put it in a bank account?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
In the old days I could tell you how to hook up a tach. I've got this fancy engine diagnostic meter that has a huge analog dial with switches all over it for 4, 6, and 8 cyl engines. It reads dwell, rpms, I don't even know what else. But it doesn't have a switch for 2 cyl. It hooks up to the coil on a vehicle. One coil. Not two. Makes me feel old thinking about it. My ford ranger pickup doesn't seem to have any coils. It is a 4 cyl and has 8 plug wires and 8 plugs all plugged into some electronic thingy. It's all magic to me.

So now that you know you can't trust my opinion, I'd say the black is ground, and the green hooks up to #1 coil, but whether it goes on the black or the red, I don't really know... It probably won't blow up if you hook it up wrong, it just won't work.

Everything I have read about setting the idle on bikes is pretty much what has been said above, just set it where it feels right. Even when syncing the carbs, I've never seen anyone use a special tach rig. Just the one on the bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts