Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tech/Musician/Friendly
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up the battery tender to my 220 cca Manga Power AGM battery backwards (ie the power and negative were swapped) and when I attached the negative cable last(with the 1.5amp schumacher charger already plugged into the wall) there was a big spark from the negative terminal.... Now my charger says it's charing the battery but displays no information about the charge level and condition of the battery. Could I have fried the battery? Im keeping it on the charger for a few days to trickle and see if I can get anything from it... Let me know your thoughts and I'll answer any questions to aide in this matter. Thanks VN750! :doh:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Should be ok.may have done damage to the charger though.see if it holds a charge

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Ah, I see now. It's a Schumacher. "Battery Tender" is a brand name, and all of their chargers have reverse polarity protection to guard against what you just did.

Would think you fried the charger more than the battery (unless it was hooked up that way for awhile)

Might be a good idea to get yourself a new charger.
(I suggest the Battery Tender brand...;) )

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Yep, the battery is probably fine but you fried some of the circuitry in the charger.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Ah, I see now. It's a Schumacher. "Battery Tender" is a brand name, and all of their chargers have reverse polarity protection to guard against what you just did.

Would think you fried the charger more than the battery (unless it was hooked up that way for awhile)

Might be a good idea to get yourself a new charger.
(I suggest the Battery Tender brand...;)
)
x2

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I use a Schumacher also, and supposedly, if hooked up in reverse, will stop any current from going thru, and warn you. Wasnt about to test their claims though...

·
Registered
269 Posts
By accident I hooked up the battery backwards on a antique outboard I was working on, just for a second. Did nothing to battery, but it did let the smoke out of the R/R. Might want to check that.

·
Tech/Musician/Friendly
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luckily the battery was off the bike and only connected for a second to the charger. Amazon it is for a new charger and volt meter. Thanks for the insight gents... safe riding

·
4,508 Posts
Yep, the battery is probably fine but you fried some of the circuitry in the charger.
Most likely the reverse current installed Diode

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
So much for reverse polarity protection.....any decent brand has it and it works.
then again, you should leave the charger UNPLUGGED from the wall until you have made your battery connections.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Jest fer sheits and giggles....I took my old battery, and hooked it up backwards to my Schumacher....the backwards polarity light came on, and nothing else happened......so, sumpin aint right in this thread fact wise......my charger DID in fact protect from reversed polarity.....

So, to the OP....???????????? Were ya drinkin ???....Ive screwed up before doin that.......I'll admit it....but there is a light on Schumachers, 3 lamps, all the way to the left......if that comes on, yer backwards and it shuts down.
Middle light (yellow) is charging....all the way right (green) is fully charged/maintaining.

My bike fired up like a raped ape today btw....just need a dry driveway and someone to ride with....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...I can get out....I just cant get back in w/o help, lol.....

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
...I can get out....I just cant get back in w/o help, lol.....
we gotta install a winch in your garage to pull that bike in backwards....
or a rotating platform so you can drive in...spin it around and drive out rather than backing in.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
we gotta install a winch in your garage to pull that bike in backwards....
or a rotating platform so you can drive in...spin it around and drive out rather than backing in.
A Vulcan roundhouse.lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
What I NEED is a new driveway, but since I doubt my landlady will pay it, just gonna get 3/4 stone or millings....leanin towards the second....its almost like real blacktop and smoother than compacted stone....3/4 crushed is cheaper though....

·
4,508 Posts
What I NEED is a new driveway, but since I doubt my landlady will pay it, just gonna get 3/4 stone or millings....leanin towards the second....its almost like real blacktop and smoother than compacted stone....3/4 crushed is cheaper though....
Intelligent thoughts !

WTG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts