Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tires are changed and now working on spline/swingarm. I'm going to use the Honda Moly on the SPLINE and SWINGARM BEARINGS. My question, Do we use the Mobil 1 for the WHEEL and STEERING STEM BEARINGS? Is there a short cut to greasing the steering bearing or does EVERYTHING come off? Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Not sure what you mean by Mobil 1 grease. Is it a synthetic? If it's a "wheel bearing" grease it's fine for wheels (duh) and steering stem.

As far as I know, there is no way to grease the steering stem bearings other than taking everything off. This means the forks, handlebars, and upper tree....and whatever thats attached to them to get them off.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Unless you have known problems with the steering head and swingarm bearings, it is best to leave them alone. Both are a real pain to get to. If you DO decide to take everything apart, I would get new bearings. Too much work to reuse the old bearings.

Wheel bearings cannot be lubricated. I would leave them alone too unless you have noticed a problem with them, then get new sealed bearings. You cannot get to the wheel bearings without removing them, and doing so destroys the bearing.

ALL the splines are super important however. You need to pack all of them with moly paste (at least 60%, I use 73%) this includes where the front bevel drive output shaft connects to the U joint, the back end of the drive shaft and pinion gear, and the splines where the wheel engages the final drive splines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts