Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assembling everything I need to rebuild my final drive. Ordered the Honda Moly 60 from Dexters on ebay for $11.47 including shipping. No mention was made in the ad of the product size. It arrived in record time but I was quite shocked to see the tiny size of the tube (3 oz); I'm used to seeing the 16 oz size used in grease guns and assumed (we know what that means) that's what I was getting. Is that the only size for the lube and was that a fair price for a tiny 3 oz tube?

Thanks for anyone's $0.02.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
That is about right. You don't use a lot of it so the tube will last some time.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
I'm assembling everything I need to rebuild my final drive. Ordered the Honda Moly 60 from Dexters on ebay for $11.47 including shipping. No mention was made in the ad of the product size. It arrived in record time but I was quite shocked to see the tiny size of the tube (3 oz); I'm used to seeing the 16 oz size used in grease guns and assumed (we know what that means) that's what I was getting. Is that the only size for the lube and was that a fair price for a tiny 3 oz tube?

Thanks for anyone's $0.02.
I paid 10.49 on ebay a few months ago for 3oz.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Moly Lube

You can just use any moly-containing bearing lube. I use Motorcraft spec, because I have it laying around from doing my stupid Expedition brakes, where the bearing hub is part of the rotor, &%$#*.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
$8.95 for 3 oz tube at my Kawasaki/Honda/Yamaha dealer.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It was about $16 CAN for the 100 gram tube at the local Honda Stealership when I first looked 3 years ago.
Last summer they were asking about $24 IIRC. :wow:

Most moly grease in the 14 oz tubes will only be a moly content of about 3% in my experience.

I have a 90 gram tube of "Moly based" CV Joint lube from NAPA that was ~$3.50. It may be only 3% moly too, as it does not specify.
Note on it says it also contains lead compounds.
I am going to use it for the spline lube in the next week or two.
I will need a new rear tire before 10K miles, so will see what the CVJoint lube looks like then. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

Thanks again everyone for your responses!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts