Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wolfie just stared a thread about a mechanic who can modify a Kawi Concours 6 speed tranny to overdrive.
http://www.vn750.com/index.php

That got me thinking about a fellow that I have been acquainted with for 15 or 20 years who stopped in front of the house to show me his bike the other day, when he saw me parking mine after work. As near as I can recall he said it is a 1980 Honda CB900. Not sure if that is the complete model designation or not.

In any case the interesting thing to me about this so called UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), is the fact that it has a dual range transmission, with two separate shift levers. He said it was a 6 speed, and in High range was in overdrive in top gear.

Is anyone familiar with this tranny?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Yes, and I believe that it is a 5 speed. Low range for city and high range for hiway riding.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
the cb 900 is on my bike bucket list

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, and I believe that it is a 5 speed. Low range for city and high range for hiway riding.
Yeah niterider, it could be that he meant 5 gears in low range, and the 6th was a change to High range for OD.
I need to talk to him a little more about it.

We agreed to take a ride together one day soon, and swap bikes for part of it to compare them. :motorcycl :motorcycl

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
if i remember it is a dual range transmission

1 - 5 of 5 Posts