Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well monday i will order some luxeon stars to start a homebrew led tail light and turn signal combo (running and ts)
2 questions before i start. anyone change out the turn signals with leds yet? If so how did the turn signal relay handle it. i need to know if i need to get a hold of a newer one, but i dont mind slighly faster blink b/c i plan to have is set to do a fast strobe (3-5 flashes per second when lit).

2nd is how bright is too bright. i dont want any lawsuits for burnt retina's. these units put out 80 lumens a peice (apparently the same as the tail light on stop) and i was looking at 4 for the tail light and set it up as a 3rd break light, and 2 per in the turn signals (one red and one orange) . I have an INOVA t-3 3 watt luxeon flashlight for emergencies, and it is much brighter than my 2 d maglight.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as too bright when it comes to tail lights on motorcycles. You do have to keep turnsignals and taillights colored correctly though.
I have LEDs in mine and they are great at night. A little dimmer during the day but I have enough on the back to make up for it.
Without a relay they do blink fast, and I mean FAST. You will want a relay to prevent them from becoming a blur.
I have the turnsignal conversion kit from Electrical Connections and am very happy with it
http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/tsk-star&sport.htm

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this myself, so I'm curious about how it works out. On the flasher, aren't there solid-state substitutes for the flasher module? These might be speed insensitive.

Bill

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
circuts are a small hobby of mine. your solid state relays work off of timing, independent of electricity used. therefore timeing stays the same. vs. with what is currently in there now switches using a set amout of electricity. when the lightbulb burns up the "charged time" them it turns off to then "recharges" then comes back on and this continues the loop.

The reason i am looking at luxeons though is cause they produce alot of light for a lil electricity. For the same amount of light the stock lil tail light bulbs produce, i will only be using .7 amps a peice compared to the what 2.5 a peice that are normally in use. Downside....i will need a heat sink. thinking bout just doing a metal plate to the fender for that :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts