Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my God, I just almost crashed. I didn't even see him to the left trying to pull onto the road, I usually slow down. He does, I hammer the brakes, it was either that or crash into him. The rear tire locks up, it starts to slide to the right, I turn the handle bars slightly right to stay up. I hit the front brake harder thinking it would compensate, it does. The bike slows, the dude pulls away, I release the rear brake, and thank everything holy the rear tire rights itself!!! Holy ****!!!!

So I gun it and catch up to him, NOW he sees me! We stop at the light. My arms are out, "What did you miss dude, the GIANT gold motorcycle?!!!" I yell. He's visibly nervous, he blows the red to make his right. I've never been that close, holy crap! People really DON'T see us fellas - at all! Please be safe!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
wow, that'll shake you up!! Glad ur alright

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
After a circumstance like that, you should be asking yourself:

"What could I have done to prevent/defeat this situation from developing?"

My guess is if you were more thoroughly scanning your surroundings, and asking yourself, "what if?...."--you could have predicted he wouldn't see you, then braked/swerved to avoid this described threat.

Also: what color helmet were you wearing at the time of the accident?

And...I have to ask....does the bike you were riding have a headlamp modulator? And was it activated at the time of this incident?

One or both of these safety ideas could have in fact made all the diff in what happened.

What do you think?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Glad your ok liberty. Definitely.

And

All good idea theauhawk....

Ride safe all

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
After a circumstance like that, you should be asking yourself:

"What could I have done to prevent/defeat this situation from developing?"

My guess is if you were more thoroughly scanning your surroundings, and asking yourself, "what if?...."--you could have predicted he wouldn't see you, then braked/swerved to avoid this described threat.

Also: what color helmet were you wearing at the time of the accident?

And...I have to ask....does the bike you were riding have a headlamp modulator? And was it activated at the time of this incident?

One or both of these safety ideas could have in fact made all the diff in what happened.

What do you think?
I think you could possibly place one of those super bright strobe lights on the top of your helmet like some of the school buses have. In reality, there are some people driving that do not realize there are other vehicles on the road besides the. I work on a road crew for the NJ Turnpike and our trucks have a minimum of ten flashing lights pointed in all directions and yet people still slam into our trucks and then say they never saw it. The state police barracks is in the same building as we are and their cars are conastantly slammed into while they are flashing lights of three different colors. All that can be done is to drive defensively and try to anticipate other drivers but to do so you have to think like them and sometimes it is impossible to be that dumb and unconscious. Today I had a woman try to park her big Buick in the same parking space that I had my bike parked in and I was still sitting on the bike. She looked right at me and got about a third of the way into the space and I was yelling and trying walk the bike backwards. Finally she stopped and started laughing and said, "I almost ran you over and crushed you and the motorcycle." I asked her, "What was the first clue that someone and something was there." She wasn't sure. I asked if she thought that maybe she should look before she drove a vehicle anywhere and she just continued to laugh. After she parked she was walking past me and said that if she hit me she wouldn't be able to get her shopping done. I apologized for being unannounced in her private little world. People are blind and stupid and we all know, "You can't fix stupid!" Anticipate as much as you can but realize that you can never cover all the dumb actions other drivers will make especially when you are on a bike. We do not exist as far as they are concerned and when we do we are expendable. Just a little bump in the road.

Liberty, I am glad you made it through alright and know that being in control of your ride and knowing what the bike and you can do is what helps. Paracticing evasive maneuvers like you do is the right thing for everyone. It sounds like you were riding alone which is a good thing also. It would be a wrong time for any additional weight and possible counter balancing from behind. Stay safe.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
glad you are allright,Liberty.i always ride like everyone is going to run me over.i had a close call on my wing once when a taxi pulled out about 10 feet in front of me at about 40.i jjust leaned over and ended up next to him.i was close enough to him that i could have punched him in the head!when i started yelling at him for not seeing me i guess the "scary biker dude" that i am,lol,scared him enough that he raced off,with a passenger in back,no less.all you can do is ride safe and hope for the best

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Glad to hear your instincts and riding skills were able to save you from a collision and all the unpleasantness that accompanies that!!

Was your view of the left turning car screened or blocked by other cars or trees etc?
Or was it just a case of not seeing a potential hazard that was in plain sight?

In one of his books on "Proficient Motorcycling", David L. Hough describes how we should constantly scan 12 seconds ahead in order to spot potential hazards and making small adjustments in speed or position to avoid danger. If you don`t already have his books, I encourage you, and all other riders, to get a copy and read a few pages every day. I`m sure you all will find something to concentrate on doing better each ride.
http://www.amazon.com/David-L.-Hough/e/B001JOWE2I/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

I don`t recall who said that riding a motorcyle in traffic requires making as many descisions each minute as flying a modern fighter plane.

Stay alert and stay safe Mike. :smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Really glad to hear that you're OK!

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Thanks, OlHoss....you've set me up here.

Back in the June 2010 issue of Roadbike magazine, columnist David Hough (the same guy who also wrote the books OlHoss mentioned, above) wrote a piece about how street riding involves constantly anticipating what the nearby cagers might do, and positioning your bike so that, when the dumb move occurs, you simply are not in the way.

Some out there call this practice "situational awareness".

Re: headlamp modulators...I never promised that they (or anything else) works all the time, for this problem. But they sure do seem to help. I've seen a lot of drivers do a "double take" at me, and then actually stop. They're a great way to make your bike stand out from all the daytime running lights out there....:beerchug:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good deal, you made it! It doesn't hurt to lock up the rear brakes and see what happens, that way you know what happens when it does happen and it will!

Your helmet and a modultated headlight, that is a joke! You can be the brightest, loudest and biggest thing around, act as everyone is not able to see you at all times! There is NO helping you, you have to help yourself, be prepaired at all times!

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Liberty, glad you and your underware are OK!

Regarding hadlight modulators and hi-viz gear, they're no guarantee you'll be seen, but you are definitely more visible with them than without. For me, riding is all about managing risk.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
hell, i've been pulled for "weaving" because i position myself when i see cars about to make a turn,etc.lucky the cop understood my explination.ride safe brothers and sisters

·
Registered
619 Posts
Glad you are OK LibertyP and had the time and the riding skill to keep shiny side up, my dauhgters partner wasn't so lucky last week he got took out by an old woman, she turned left straight into him and took his bike 10 yards down the street, he went over the top and hit another car luckily he wasn't going fast and was just bruised, can't say the same for his bike though it was a right off, and guess what she said SORRY I DIDN'T SEE YOU :doh:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Glad you are OK

As we begin the riding season itis a good reminder of how vulnerable we are. It is so easy to get comfortable and fail to be scanning our surroundings. I'm really glad you got through this.

Mcneuby :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
It's good you're OK. I put a Stebel air horn on for just that purpose. So I'm going down in the left lane of a 3 lane street with a wide island to my left to separate direction. As I pass I notice out of the corner or my sight a white car pulling away from the curb. It caught up with me and cut me off to make the U-turn cutout in the island BTW there was no one behind me, and proceeds to cut me off. I get on the airhorn and nothing changes. I get on the brakes and my bike did exactly what your bike did. Fortunately I stay upright and come to a stop. My first impuse was to go after the white car and put my boot into the driver door but decided to cool down and go about my business. I know he/she heard me and totally disregarded my well being. Missed the rear bumper by less than 6 inches.

It's good you're OK.:smiley_th

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I am just glad to hear you made out OK Liberty!

This is just another example of "you never know" Keep alert out there everyone. Nobody can look out for you better than ...well...YOU!

·
Registered
319 Posts
We all need to ride defensively. Someone said you got to be scanning the road all the time. That and anticipate! It won't matter who's at fault your body just won't win a competition with the asphalt or metal!

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks fellas, it was nerve shattering fo sho! I could make myself more visible, it certainly couldn't hurt. I feel like this dude would have done the same thing anyway this time. He was kinda young and was rockin' the stoner look. I was supposed to take the bike to Princeton the next day and went with the Jeep instead. I hope this thing doesn't stay in my head too long. Hell, it's 90 out today!!!! LOL!!!!

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Thanks fellas, it was nerve shattering fo sho! I could make myself more visible, it certainly couldn't hurt. I feel like this dude would have done the same thing anyway this time. He was kinda young and was rockin' the stoner look. I was supposed to take the bike to Princeton the next day and went with the Jeep instead. I hope this thing doesn't stay in my head too long. Hell, it's 90 out today!!!! LOL!!!!
Sometimes all the real fun of riding is taken away and you just have to use the cage. I ride for the pure fun of being in the open air and becoming an intergral part of my bike. It is invigorating and refreshes my soul from all the other hassles of everyday life. I believe in defensive driving, being aware of everything around me while riding and anticipating the nonthinkers we all come in contact with on the road but I will not let it destroy my pleasure of riding. If there is no pleasure than I use the cage and go out with the bike another day. Don't let the idiots take the pleasure away from you. Find a way to clear your head of the incident and ride another day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts