Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
So like the bolt that on the rite side if your look at the back of bike, that bolt is so soft that everything i put on it to hold it in place while i crank on the left side bolt ( 27mm) that rite side bolt just strips out its to soft for the torque im putting on it i guess

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
You want to crank on the left side, the one with the 27mm nut.

You should be able to break the 27mm nut loose without holding the other side, that will give you both hands to break it loose.

After it's loose, if the axle spins you can hold it.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
You did remove the cotter pin from the 27mm nut, right?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Glad you got it off.
I wouldn't put moly on the hub, just standard grease. Moly tends to be thinner and get everywhere, so it's not great to use on an uncontained large spinny thing.

·
2,580 Posts
Let's see the splines now.

Reactions: Thorn

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Oh wow i just realized that i dident get not 1 pic of the actual spline, lol only the coupling... but the spline is in jus as good shape as the coupling is.. that honestly worries me because now im wondering if the splines were even the reason for the grinding and crunching and tumbling noise i was hearing from somwhere around the rear end left side of bike. I mean the spline was NOT bone dry when i busted into it. It deff could use some molly but was not bone dry so im hoping that maybe that was the prob and now that everything is lubed up, the noise is gone FOREVER or atleast the nxt 10k miles... idk yet i have not ran the bike since the procedure. . Gonna run it today and get back to yall!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Also wanna thank everyone that helped me get this done! This fourm is so awesome, i mean really a bunch of great ppl up here. I literally have learned more about bikes (VN 750) IN PARTICULAR in the past 2 months on this fourm than i have in the past 25years of riding and growing up around bikes...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Those splines look like they're in great shape, which is good and bad news. They wouldn't have been the source of the grinding, which means there's something else making weird noises back there. Maybe there was something in the brake drum? Would be curious to know if putting it up on the center stand and spinning the rear tire while in neutral would give any clues.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Agreed, looks like something else is going on. The splines look good and at least had some lube on them.

Brake shoes looked ok? Gear lube in final drive is full?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Yea, all fluids i just changed b/c i dident kno when the last time the PO changed em.. but the wheel hub was pretty dry and rite before i rode it home today from my brothers shop i spun the back wheel and it was kinda catching an making a faint noise so i losened the brake line and it was good.. also rode it about 15 mi home an no issues.. also the noise is deff gone and i can hear the drive shaft turning smoothly.. idk wheather it was the dry hub the spline or the rear brake but between them all, the sound is surly gone!!🤞🤞

81 - 100 of 102 Posts