Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
That's how I do it (I don't even count threads, just tighten to the right amount of play in the foot brake), but flip a coin if you're losing sleep trying to decide! :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Well i will definitely 100%most likely probably for sure maybe be able to get it done and put back together correctly... 4 sure!!

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
137 Posts
Coffee grinder is when you release the clutch lever and there is a very brief "soft grind" sound as the clutch slips, then once it engages, there is no more sound. Usually only happens a couple times at the very start of a ride.

Rough grinds from the rear end is usually the spines at the end of the drive shaft where it meets the final drive. An inadequately lubed spline coupling will rust out and eat itself alive. It's appearance is usually pretty sudden and is accompanied by power loss since the drive shaft is no longer driving the wheel.
Not hi-jacking the thread, I will be doing the spline lubrication thing soon too, but wanted to know from your experience:

Is the "coffee grinder" normal? I get it once a day when I first pull out, and then no more.

So my rear tire needs replacing which means I will be taking the wheel off soon. If you know off-hand and can save me the research, how do I reach the splines that need lubricating once the rear wheel is off?

Appreciate all the helpful info and experience.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Once you have the rear wheel off, you unbolt the 4 bolts for the final drive assembly, the splines will be visible once you pull the assembly rearward.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
So is there a such thing as " TO MUCH MOLLY" obviously you would think the more molly u pack in around the spline the longer u can go before re servicing however i dont feel like thats rite? Anyone know how much to pack in there?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Two to three teaspoons should be enough. The extra will get flung out when the assembly spins up

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Okay friends an foe, today is the day i yank this back tire off and musle my way into that final drive, look my final drive rite directly into her splines and pack em with molly!! Its a big day and im sure ill need some help.. anyone up for lubing some splines with me today? MMART? SPOCKSTER? THORN?SHARK 88? WHERE MY BROS AT?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Hey so im to the point of using this 27mm to takevthe axel bolt out but that things hard af to bust loose!! Its not reversed threaded is it? I just wanna make sure im torquing the rite way.. not wanna ring it loose

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Hey so im to the point of using this 27mm to takevthe axel bolt out but that things hard af to bust loose!! Its not reversed threaded is it? I just wanna make sure im torquing the rite way.. not wanna ring it loose
Lefty loosey. Not reverse threaded.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Man im literally turnin blue in the face with weird veins popin out on my arm lol.. that thing is really on there.. im using a ¹/² in drive on the 27mm side and a wrench on the exhaust side and i just cant break it.. the wrench keeps poppin off, and so do the vise!?¿

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
61 - 80 of 102 Posts