Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whick eay is off? Is straight down prime? Looking straight at it, whick way is "normal"?

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
toward seat = off
down = on
forward = prime or reserve depending on year

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine has prime, reserve and on... as long as there is no vacuum applied, there should be no fuel flow when it's on the "on" position.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has prime, reserve and on... as long as there is no vacuum applied, there should be no fuel flow when it's on the "on" position.
Leaks like crazy when its straight down. I think I need a petcock rebuild - hopefully it's that simple.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it runs pointed to the left, without leaking so much - is that strange?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Does it leak from the front or back of the petcock. The lever has only a rubber washer that is prone to wear out if you use the petcock very much. The rear has a thin membrane/ gasket plunger that requires removing the tank to get at. I would drain the tank and change the rubber O-ring on the lever first. When you remove the 2 screws holding the lever in, have a large funnel under it if you do not get all the gas out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine was leaking as well. I liberally applied large quantities of silicone gasket maker on the fuel outputs... they kept coming apart too easily. No leak now. However, this isn't the most correct way to fix the problem. Replacing the petcock or rebuilding it is more correct. But you gotta find where it leaks exactly on yours so you know if you need the rebuild or not. Mine, for example, I don't think the parts in the rebuild kit would have helped, so I did the silicone thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts