Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I hope this pictre posted OK, it is the first time I've posted a pic.

I didn't realize how close I was to wiping out until I looked at my tire. Traffic stopped fast as I quickly glanced over my right shoulder to change lanes. I maintained enough composure to sqeeze down on the front brake to not just immediately lock it up, but after about a second I felt the front wheel bouncing, so I relaxed some pressure on the front. Apparenly I relaxed just enough to allow enough wheel movement to not slide the front wheel sideways. But, the pavement grooves may have helped, too. When I stopped, my front wheel smoke caught up with me!

This is a Metzeler ME-880. I felt that I should have had more stopping power from the front tire. I already have a Shinko 230 on the rear, that did not skid despite my effort to lock it up, so I will adjust the linkage. The ME-880 is too hard for me, and in my opinion, and at least for my type of riding, not as safe as a grippier tire.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Glad you avoided a wipeout. There are too many variables here to blame the ME880. Smaller footprint on the front tire, dual disk brakes in front verses drum in back, different tire compounds, and different tread design.

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts

I hope this pictre posted OK, it is the first time I've posted a pic.

I didn't realize how close I was to wiping out until I looked at my tire. Traffic stopped fast as I quickly glanced over my right shoulder to change lanes. I maintained enough composure to sqeeze down on the front brake to not just immediately lock it up, but after about a second I felt the front wheel bouncing, so I relaxed some pressure on the front. Apparenly I relaxed just enough to allow enough wheel movement to not slide the front wheel sideways. But, the pavement grooves may have helped, too. When I stopped, my front wheel smoke caught up with me!

This is a Metzeler ME-880. I felt that I should have had more stopping power from the front tire. I already have a Shinko 230 on the rear, that did not skid despite my effort to lock it up, so I will adjust the linkage. The ME-880 is too hard for me, and in my opinion, and at least for my type of riding, not as safe as a grippier tire.
So let me understand this, you screw up by not noticing that the car in front of you had stopped....and you are trying to blame the tire? ;)
AND
You wore grooves into the tire and think its too hard? If the tire had been softer the grooves would have just been deeper.
Sure you got the right amount of air in the front? Those grooves look kinda wide...

Sound to me like your front tire is fine but your rear sucks.....

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Sound to me like your front tire is fine but your rear sucks.....
That makes no sense; no offense. His rear sounds perfectly fine and grippy to me. :smiley_th He'll just want to adjust his rear brakes to compensate.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
That makes no sense; no offense. His rear sounds perfectly fine and grippy to me. :smiley_th He'll just want to adjust his rear brakes to compensate.
no his rear does sound crappy, he should have been able to lock it up and had smoke bellowing from both tires... ask me how I know.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
no his rear does sound crappy, he should have been able to lock it up and had smoke bellowing from both tires... ask me how I know.
been there brother.soccer mom on a cell phone

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I know, cause i have locked up both tires on my bike b4... of coarse it was in a parking lot as I was practicing my emergency braking... but still

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
the cool thing about these bikes is they are pretty predictable in a slide and don't do anything unexpeted.they handle really well

·
Registered
59 Posts
My wife and I had a close one last fall.
An elder couple stopped before turning right and up a dirt drive. First car jumped left and just avoided two oncoming cars. next car locked up and third went sideways.

I locked them up and the back slid to the left and down a little, then released and jammed 'em back on. The front started to buck and the bike jerked side to side until I let up and rode off to the right onto a soft shoulder between the third car and a string of mailboxes. wouldn't you know that same car that started it all stopped again and I had to make a hard right up the dirt driveway after passing the open ditch! They just looked at us and continued up the drive. A truck and another car behind us alo locked up and started honking as they drove past the scene.

I actually felt fine after checking on my wife. She bruised her right leg from slapping against the bike and my ribs hurt a little the next day from her giving me a death hug.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Seems about half the drivers on the road live in blissful ignorance of anything or maybe everything going on around them. :doh:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
kinda like blinders on a draft horse

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I locked mine up once. skidded for like 30 ft, scared the crap outa me. car stopped abrupt to take a turn. she went straight, but i was lucky. my dirt biking days had me hit the back first. boy the front is grabby, I will take a front drum anyday over a disc. I dont think the front should lock up. almost dumped on wet grass too once or twice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just locked my rear up on tuesday. Driving down the road and an excursion pulled out right in front of me. Slammed on the brakes and the rear locked up and kicked out to the side. I didnt know the vulcan could go sideways and not fall over. Thats definetly something i dont want to try again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts