Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I picked up an 1986 vn750 as a project. I just took the carbs off and started going through the Clymer's procedure on disassembly and cleaning. First thing I noticed is that I have a hole in the diaphragm on the front carb (haven't checked the rear one yet).

I don't think there's really any other options than replacing it? The question is, is there any point in continuing cleaning this carb? I checked the price of a new vacuum diaphragm, it is about as much as a used set of carbs on eBay.

Also, this is a pic of the carb body as it sits.

I was planning on using a bucket of Chemdip carb cleaner and soaking the whole thing. Is this everything I need to take off? Is there any parts I shouldn't soak (jets)?

--This is my first shot at cleaning/rebuilding ANY carbs, feel free to point out any glaring mistakes

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Remove everything that will come off, including the jets. This will allow for better cleaning by the carb solution. Soak only the metal parts, no rubber or plastic. I'd let it soak overnight. Remove, rinse and be sure to blow compressed air through all the orifices, including the jets.

If you get used carbs from ebay, they may need cleaning/repair too. Have you tried looking for just the diaphram on ebay? http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=750&_kw=carb&_kw=diaphram

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did check eBay for the diaphragm, no luck at the moment. Unless there's other bikes that use the same carbs? I have also looked through the carb pics in the gallery. Very helpful!

Disassembly went pretty smooth and wasn't as complicated as I thought, just gotta solve this problem, then on with the show!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did check eBay for the diaphragm, no luck at the moment. Unless there's other bikes that use the same carbs? I have also looked through the carb pics in the gallery. Very helpful!

Disassembly went pretty smooth and wasn't as complicated as I thought, just gotta solve this problem, then on with the show!
I just found 2 diaphrams on ebay, at the bottom of this page.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/eBay_Marketplace.php?searchSubmit=false&catId=6000&keyword=VN750&minPrice=10&maxPrice=500000&sortitem=BidCount&pagenum=91

Here is a link direct to one of them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-VULCAN-750-VN750-86-06-CARB-SLIDE-DIAPHRAGM-b_W0QQitemZ190500454734QQcategoryZ10066QQcmdZViewItem

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man! RakerBill also gave me the heads up in my Sell/Swap thread. Just bought one!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, now I just gotta get my head around droppin $60 on o-rings.

·
Banned
448 Posts
If there is a Tacoma screw, or Fastenal close by, go to them. They have all sorts of sizes of O-Rings, and just about any size of screws too. Whole lot cheaper.
Tacoma Screw has both SAE and Metric o-rings

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read that not all o-rings are made for use with gasoline? Or else I'd just make a run to True Value... Also there's a couple specially shaped ones that are needed.

I half-thought about just doin the job and putting it back together with the old rings, but what's the point? No way I want to wrestle those damn carbs back in just to have em leaking! They're all pretty crispy anyway, guess that's what 25 years will do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts