Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't laugh, I have a whopping 800 miles on my VN750 and ride to work every chance I get (30 miles round trip) most of it on the highway. The bike seems to ride nice at 70 - 75 mph at about 5,000 rpms I assuming that's a good range (speed & RPM) for the bike? :motorcycl It doesn't seem to strain in any way and still has power to pass. At what speed / rpm do you think is a comfortable crusing speed? It seems best to shift between 4500 - 5000. I'll short shift (3000) for a few miles until she's warmed up.
what are your opinions?:rockon:

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Dasher,
I live in Dallas too...where abouts are ya. i drive from north dallas almost garland to dfw everyday for work down 635 (keep your eyes open here...very nasty drivers). In the HOV lane i do 65-80 depending on traffic and watch out for the HOV chip's :p. the wind will wear u out at that speed though. i prefer to ride in the right 2 lanes about 60-65... the drift from the cars in front helps alot... feels like 35... the farther left u go in lanes, the more wind you get(less cars).
On another note.... take a MSF course... i use stuff i learned almost daily in dallas... it was a big help. i took mine in garland. we should go for a ride sometime when i get my bike back (hit and run in the parking lot)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Usually on GS Parkway I do 75-80 (it's 5500rpm) - keep up with the trafic (yea, everybody goes at least 70 here), very often go up to 90-95 (6000+ rpm) when wind is not too gusty. The cycle really can make more than 120, once I did 115 - that's my record for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dasher and Hizzo3
I live north of you outside Whitewright, I commute to Work in Richardson 90 miles round trip. I agree with the speed the 750 feels better at 60-65, but can do over a hundred on demand. I have been north of 90 mph in 2 years both times doing a carburetion check. My bike is a 1986 VN750A2. Down right now have the engine pulled redoing a stator gasket that appears to think it has to leave a oil puddle to feel at home. Wind is the limiting factor I have not found the right combo for this one . I currently use a National Deflector Shield. Though a great bike, this is the last bike I will buy as a rebuilder. Oh two things if you have not already one grease those splines, and second replace the battery with a sealed AGM. Regards ED

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dasher said:
Don't laugh, I have a whopping 800 miles on my VN750 and ride to work every chance I get (30 miles round trip) most of it on the highway. The bike seems to ride nice at 70 - 75 mph at about 5,000 rpms I assuming that's a good range (speed & RPM) for the bike? :motorcycl It doesn't seem to strain in any way and still has power to pass. At what speed / rpm do you think is a comfortable crusing speed? It seems best to shift between 4500 - 5000. I'll short shift (3000) for a few miles until she's warmed up.
I think you're doing things exactly right....enjoy!:smiley_th

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the good feedback.
BTW, eventhough the wife and I took the MSF :smiley_th and she's better than she thinks, it seemed too much for her to think about right now the hole clutch, break, shift thing so we looked for a scooter. We found this really cool Suzuki Burgman 400 and she loves it. Plenty of power and easy to ride and a nice low seat hight and a lower center of gravity. So if you know any woman that are intimidated by a m/c a good size scooter maybe the way to get them on two wheels.
Hizzo3, I live off Greenville & Mockingbird.

enjoy:rockon:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Speed

By the way, my speedometer seems to say I am going about 10% faster than I am actually going. How can I correct this?
Dan

·
Now what
400 Posts
Dan said:
By the way, my speedometer seems to say I am going about 10% faster than I am actually going. How can I correct this?
Dan
Change the front tire to a 110 from the stock 100. That seems to work for everybody.

·
Now what
400 Posts
Dasher said:
I'll do 60 to 70, but I don't have a windshield so it can get tiring after a while. Other thing you'll notice is the mileage drops a lot when the enging is running over 5,000. But usually still well over 40 mpg, so that's still pretty good for highway speed. I get a smoother shift when I shift about 3500. Of course, that's when I'm not in a hurry:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts