Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I am looking to spray my army green dufflebag which appears to be made out of some nylon or synthetic stuff not canvas. I want to use it for touring and want it bright neon yellow or green. So when i strap it on people see it from behind.
Also,
Is there a paint that I can use if I buy a nice leather jacket for winter? Or is this stupid and i should do something else like sew on reflectors or something. I want to be visible when in the saddle so painting the duffle seems pretty good since it is probably going to be sitting on the luggage rack when i mount it someday.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd recommend picking up a dry bag for serious touring. One other low cost solution is to pick up a high visibility rain jacket or poncho and just wrap your bag in that before bungeeing it to the bike.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
IDEAS for you...

One other low cost solution is to pick up a high visibility rain jacket or poncho and just wrap your bag in that before bungeeing it to the bike.
X2. How about a HiVis vest to wrap your duffle? I've painted many items with florescent or HiVis paint and it's not easy to get the paint to work the way it shows on the can. Surface prep, primer color, thickness of the paint all determine how bright the final product looks.

Check out these links for HiVis ideas:

Bag badge

3M roll tape

This is what I wear

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Get his viz duct tape. That's what I use at baggage claim.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks people! I already do have a hi viz olympia vest...I will study your posts further!

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
Paint will probably flake off anything flexible. I second that you should buy a dry bag designed for paddling. You can find them in bright yellow (we have a couple) and they're totally weatherproof. Also tough as nails.

Do an internet search for "yellow dry bag" and you'll find plenty to choose from in any size.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!
Allons!

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Hey Kimmerling, just wrap the bag with your PT belt... that is what I do when I strap mine down to go to the field.
Slim I have been meaning to ask you have they cracked down on motorcycles on base where you are.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am looking for a hi vis poncho for two reasons...1. Wraps around duffle pretty good.
2. I can use it as a hasty shelter and be spotted from the air.
Still searching the net....doesnt seem like there are many manufacturers...

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Spammer or whatever ^^^^??? Reported

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Viz Yellow

First the jacket: Tourmaster makes a great HiViz jacket that will be just as warm as the leather and just as durable, not to mention protective.

The Helmet: Shoei makes a really nice one

The paint...contact BMW motorcycle dealer in Las Vegas, NV one of the mechanics there has been working on a Hi Viz Yellow paint that will work on plastic parts as well as metal...

tests certainly proven the Hi Viz route improves safety but there are still idiots like the "CarQuest mechanic with a phone in his ear who pulled out right in front of me in Vegas last year...1/2 second later I would have been in the back of his truck" story I tell everyone about safety...truth be known only attentive, defensive drivers notice you and realistically, how many of those rare nearly extinct people do you see on the road?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Buy some sparkies for your plug leads, you'll be flashing lights everywhere you go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts