Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the forum, and relatively new to the bike (an 05 that I've put 4500 miles on), I'm very interested in hearing from people who have put considerable mileage on their VN 750's.
I'd also like to hear what major repairs you may have had to venture into (in addition to scheduled maintenance).
I figure a heads up might benefit me and other newer 750 owners. Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I myself being new the forum have been reading as much as I can about the VN 750. It seems that the most important thing you can do to your Vulcan is to check the drive shaft splines for grease. I have an 06 and didnt think that my bike would lack grease on some of the most important parts of the bike. But yesterday, I took apart the rear end and found little or no grease on the splines. With that being said, I used Moly 60 on the splines and spray grease on the universal and buttoned things up.

When it comes to daily or monthly checks and maintenance, read your manual. Everything is important. Down to the littlest detail like checking your brake lever for excess play.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 01 with 12,000 mile's and nothing major
to report here.
On original brake's and rear tire,I did the splines
and put in a sealed battery new f. tire that's
about it run's like new........

·
Registered
226 Posts
Stator replacement is another big one. I bought a used 1990 vulcan with about 16,000 miles indicated, and had to replace the stator. However, the speedo cable was broken, so the bike probably had more. I hear the best thing you can do to keep your stator healthy is change the oil frequently.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The two most important mods are the maint. free battery and the R/R relocation. Not only will this protect your electrical system, but it will help eliminate hot start problems.

A voltmeter helps to keep track of how your system is performing - $30 from J+P Cycles and a good installation write-up in the VN750 forum.

And yea, the splines. I haven't done this on my '06, but will, soon.

Good luck!

Rick

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Got 17.7K on mine. Had to replace the stator & r/r AND get a MF battery. Oh, and back tire. Except for the problems we know about, it has been an exceptional bike. Now, if the internet didn't exist, I would hafta say it is a terrible bike, but thanks to the Vulcan Verses, and Al Gore, I must admit that this one has been trouble free.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
No major work for mine yet.
Had 7K when I got it, now has 33K+.
I have changed the battery once (non MF one :eek: )
2 rear tires, one front. Rear will definatly need changed after this season.
Changed the plugs once.
New air filters once I noticed the stock ones were deteriorating.
I'm just about to do the ACCT springs.

Otherwise, just normal maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
MF battery, lube splines, RR relocation (maybe with addition of inline fuses on the three wires from stator) , volt meter, that pretty much covers it. I was one of the "lucky" ones that had no grease on the splines from the factory, so my final drive and shaft had to be replaced. But, even that wasn't a hard job and I've had loads of fun riding the bike, far outweighing the maintenance time...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You gotta love that faint green metal flake you can see in the black paint when the sun hits it huh? I didn't think I would like the color as much when I first was looking at bikes, but it gets a lot of compliments.

·
Registered
659 Posts
cegodsey said:
Got 17.7K on mine. Had to replace the stator & r/r AND get a MF battery. Oh, and back tire. Except for the problems we know about, it has been an exceptional bike. Now, if the internet didn't exist, I would hafta say it is a terrible bike, but thanks to the Vulcan Verses, and Al Gore, I must admit that this one has been trouble free.

OK, so what does Mr. Excitement Al Gore have to do with it? :confused:

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
The sarcastic reference to Al Gore is because he claimed to be responsible for the invention of the internet - the Vulcan Verses are available via the internet.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i hate Al Gore, i am so glad we got Bush over him......

One other thing to look out for, it seems as out tool boxes on the back of the bike are popular with the road gobblins. On rides the just seem to dissappear...

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
My '93 has just gone past 76000 miles. I have had it from virtually new & it still doesn't burn oil between changes. Only major expense has been the driveshaft spline problem, had to get another shaft & final drive unit (expensive!). I now clean & lube the splines every time I have the rear wheel out for a tire change, don't want to get caught out again. Replaced the oil screen drain plug a while ago because, despite always using the correct wrench on it, the other one got rounded off. Think the metal there is far too soft. ACCT's are the original & don't seem to have given any trouble. Fork seals have popped 3 times but I don't think any other bike would be any different. My GS1000 pops them now & again too. Has been meticulously maintained with regular oil & filter changes & the coolant has been changed a few times too. Front mudguard rusted away so I fitted a universal chrome replacement, I actually think it looks better than the original. I am hoping I will see it going round the clock without major repairs being needed - keeping my fingers crossed about that one. I was looking at Gypsy's website a while ago (an excellent site by the way) & saw that she got past 100,000 on hers so I know it's possible. I reckon the key to high mileage is regular maintanence, especially oil & filter changes, & not working the bike too hard when the engine is cold.:smiley_th

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have had a 2005 model for several years now. When I bougt it it had 3600 miles already on it. Since then I have 17500. I have had no major repair issues but have changed the oil every 2500 miles, put new oil in the final gear and changed plugs once. I do perform the normal maintence required in the owners manual. I am going to replace the tires and brake pads before next riding season. After reading the issue on the splines, I am worried about what I will find when I remove the rear wheel. We will see! As far as modifications, I removed the goats belly and then moved the voltage regulator to the side. I have added blue running lights and blue leds front and back. Looks great at night! In Ky, it is not against the law, check you state prior to doing this.

Safe riding!

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Couple of other things....

A few more things I have heard of folks doing to keep our bikes in tip top running shape is;
1) Make sure all ground connections on the battery and engine are clean. A poor ground, and it seems our bikes have a tendency to dirty them up, will cause poor runnability or charging.
2) The fan switch terminal at the bottom of the radiator will get dirty with road muck and eventually corrode. Mine was not making connection and let me know its status on the hottest day of the year. Correction is simple- unplug connection, clean by sanding terminal if needed, and place dielectric grease on terminal before reconnection.
3) Periodic doses of Seafoam through the fuel system will keep the bike and you happy for many years.
4) Enjoy the heck out of the bike.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have an '05 with 12K miles and have done nothing except change oil every 2500 and keep nuts and bolts tight. Also keep proper tire inflation. I've had no problems.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Well, I guess I could update my not-really-all-that-high-mileage maintenance history.

I now have about 35,500 on my '99. I guess it was about the middle of Nov ('06) that my stator went out.
What led up to the unfortunate discovery was, while taking a short ride, my Vulcan would occasionally start running like it was only on one cylinder, then would eventually die completely.
Sit about a minute or two and then try starting it up.
Got a couple of those ever so loud Vulcan farts (BIG backfire!), and then it'd finally fire up like nothing was wrong. Get about 5 more miles down the road and it'd do it again.
Went about 15 miles then figured I better turn around to head back home. The last time it quit runnin' I sat for awhile and had a smoke. Eventually got it fired back up and as I was pulling onto the road, I noticed my headlight wasn't on. I don't know how long for sure it was like that.
Finally got home, messed with the headlight, wires, fuses, everything looked fine. Checked through the site here and found the news I was hoping I wouldn't find.
Most likely it was my stator. :doh:
Hooked up the meter and sure enough, the stator was kaput.:BLAM:

Now I'm getting ready to do a frame mod (that in the last couple or so months several others have just done) which will give me a removable left frame section for a stator replacement. The last stator victim to do this is from the Y! site, and managed to do it without removing the motor !!
Wow, who would think that ya'd ever hear good news when needing to do a stator change !!??
Now I won't have to do any motor pull to change my stator.
No messin' with the air box
No messin' with the carbs
No messin' with the drive shaft (except to do a spline lube !)
And NO droppin' the motor on my knee !! (that doesn't disqualify me from being in the 'Fried Stator Club' does it ?!)
Just some messin' with a saws-all and my mig welder !!
But wouldn't ya know, just as I'm getting ready to do this, winter finally shows up !!

Well, that's my maintenance story for now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts