Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dedicated Rider
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set idle at 1100 RPM in town with bike warmed up. Then after a prolonged ride at 60-80 mph in the desert the bike returns to idle at 1500 RPM. If I reset the idle back to 1100 while the bike is still hot it will be too low when I start it the next day. Is this normal?

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Yes my bike does the same. It seems to take the bike good time to really warm up. My bike is a 04, and does the same. After about 10 minutes of riding I have to reset the idle down again. Yes then the nest day or the nest time I starte it I will reset idle for restart. I have marked the knob with paint to for first start of day then turn it down as needed. Ride safe.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I usually re-adjust the idle on mine once really warmed up too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Set idle at 1100 RPM in town with bike warmed up. Then after a prolonged ride at 60-80 mph in the desert the bike returns to idle at 1500 RPM. If I reset the idle back to 1100 while the bike is still hot it will be too low when I start it the next day. Is this normal?
Nopey it's not normal, well it is if you need to clean the carbs. What it's doing is starting the flooding problem but may not be that bad to notice yet just the idle. Mine did that till I cleaned my carbs good.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Just thinking...... are you changing elevations much when this happens?

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I was having trouble getting mine to idle well until warmed up. I don't like changing the idle speed back and forth. After I coastered it, I have much less trouble. It will idle fine after a minute or two now.

·
Dedicated Rider
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re elevation changes, no, not a whole lot. It seems to be more related to heat. (The bike is not coastered) The first time I noticed it I started out at 2400 ft and about 90 degrees, dry heat, ended up at 4800 ft in the 80s, no problem. Later that day back to 2400 ft again but temperatures in 100s, and had the high idle. Last weekend I started out at 2400 ft and went over several 7,000 ft summits, ended up at 6,500 ft with no problem. Rode around at 6,500 ft to 8,000 ft and noticed a little decline in performance due to the elevation but no issues with idle speed. When I retraced my steps again I was running for about 80 miles in temperatures above 105, and had the high idle. So there's no correlation with anything but heat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem and I did a good carb clean and it has not done it since. That's what I would reccomend. My problem was almost identical.

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
Hmmm, my '03 idles a constant 1,100 to 1,200 regardless of weather.
My 94 does too, once it's warmed up.

My RE does have a idle thats way high once it's fully warmed.
But we've not got it jetted properly yet. Still bit to rich.:doh:

·
Registered
60 Posts
My '86 does the same thing with the fast idle. Though that is was the carb boots. Went an put new carb boots on, still the fast idle. Took the carbs off the 2nd time to make sure that I didn't do anything wrong, couldn't find anything wrong. While I had them off the 2nd time, took the bottom off the carbs and sprayed carb cleaner in there. Got them back together and still had the fast idle. I am now on my 2nd bottle of sea foam in the gas. Not sure if is helping yet. About ready to take them off the 3rd time if nothing changes by the end of next week. Think that the sea foam is helping, but to early to make a clear call.

·
Dedicated Rider
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate to pull the carbs and go all through those. Think repeating Seafoam treatments will help?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I hate to pull the carbs and go all through those. Think repeating Seafoam treatments will help?
Seafoam is awesome BUT..... if you want an easy way to clean the carbs without pulling em then get a can of gumout and drain the carbs and stick that straw into the drain hole and fill the carb up till you hear it bubble and then turn the screw back in and wait for 10 mins and drain again. do the same to both carbs. You may need to do it a couple times to flush them good but it will help better than just useing plain seafoam. Unless you want to fill the bowls with that and let it sit over nite. Oh do it on the belly stand.

If all else fails pull em and do it right. :rockon:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts