Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
You are aware that Ron / Lance is no longer with us, right? He passed away in February.

Just couldn't tell from your post.

Yes, he certainly knew what he was talking about though!

·
Registered
900 Posts
This is SUCH an old thread but just had to post that I just installed the HID kit that Lance recommended and the whole job took about 15min. :smiley_th Just used existing wiring and will leave stock headlight/bucket in place and see how it works for a while. HID is SUPER bright but works great. :wow: If you think you might not be able to handle this mod, you're wrong, an 8-yr-old could do it. Mounted the ballast behind the left plastic yellow reflector and you can't see it unless you look REAL close. Anyway, many thanks to the Professor for all of his solid advice!! :beerchug:
well done!

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
The kit that Lance linked to is no longer available.
There is a new e-bay seller claiming to be the owner of Lumenez & Lumenez.com Name is hidxenonworld. Claims packaging will no longer come with Lumenez logo but plain white box and no stickers. After several conversation with him, I am almost convinced he is for real. Also called the Lumenez phone number and they reffered to Lumenez only being sold through e-bay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-Xenon-Headlight-Foglight-Conversion-Kit-H4-6000K-/390167409098?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ad7ca31ca

If you are interested this link is for 2 bulbs/ ballasts etc for a car. I would be willing to split it with you since our bikes only need 1. Let me know what you think. PM me if you wanna do this

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was looking at these kits again recently... Since all these eBay links will expire and eventually be worthless, the item is currently called Motorcycle Xenon HID Conversion Kit H4 Hi/Lo 6000K (click to search for it). It should be about $40 for the single light kit.

The first one that I found linked from here was sold by luxebuystore ($25 + $15 shipping example). The current one is sold by hidxenonworld ($40 + free shipping) as mentioned by KidChaos above. Based on the details (price, page layout, product details, location), they appear to be the same seller, just going unbranded.

The old one specifically mentions being HID/halogen. The new one doesn't, but looks exactly the same. I just asked the seller if he could verify that, and will post the response.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
ok, I purchased the set today from HIDXENONWORLD and will let you all klnow when I recieve it if it actually is the same as the lumenez set.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I'm finding my halogen works fine but my hid takes about ten miles to warm up or it cuts off and I have to switch to halogen or low, once warmed up it stays on fine. website says it could be due to low battery or charging issues, I seriously hope not. voltmeter is next. once warmed up the light is awesome

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I received my kit from hidxenonworld today. First of all, billing did go to luxebuy. Secondly, although the package was plain white and no logos were on the ballast, there was a Lumenez sticker on the plastic case around the actual bulb. Yet to install, that's for tomorrow, but it seems to be the exact same kit and company as previously recommended on this site (and by Ron as best I can tell)

Hope this helps anyone looking for an HID conversion

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
trying to upload some pics now of the hid difference, have to find a better way to take pics without killing myself. took a couple but my phone is being stupid on uploading them!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got my kit today, and thought I'd take some pics.

This is the whole H4 Hi/Lo kit. In the upper left, you have the 3-pin plug that mates with your factory headlight plug. Running down the left side, you have the pair of wires for the halogen high beam, which runs directly off the factory plug. Running down the other way from the plug is the power feeding the HID stuff off the low beam. It goes through the rubber grommet and through some black mesh sleeving to the 2-pin weatherpak connector. On the far right you have the ballast, which gets power through the red cable connected to the 2-pin weatherpak. The black cable coming out of the ballast goes through the transformer to blue and white wires with individual weatherpak connectors. These connect to the black and red wires that go back through the grommet and connect to the actual HID bulb.

Here's a close shot of the bulb itself. The HID bulb is in the center, with the halogen mounted next to it. The protective cover that the bulb ships in simply snaps onto the black plastic mounting base.

In a car installation with a headlight compartment where you have to open up a little cover to get to the bulb, you'd drill a hole in that cover and mount the rubber grommet there. The bulb and headlight plug would be inside the compartment, while the ballast, transformer, and weatherpaks would be outside the compartment. On our bikes, the grommet could be considered the dividing line between what goes in the headlight bucket and what gets mounted under a side cover. If there's enough room, you might be able to mount the whole thing in the bucket. These new ballasts are quite small - including the mounting tabs, it's 3-1/4" x 2-3/8" and 1/2" thick.

I haven't gotten it put on the bike yet, but I have a few comments on the kit. The manual is 100% Engrish.
  • Please read first the foundation install the catalogue.
  • Before installing far near light system, please the first careful check power supply on-line and plus or minus pole, adjust input the exportation lead the linear position, then according to top the diagram shows the beginning gearing.
  • Do not make an effort the ambulation parts push pull the lamp bulb, will result in the lamp bulb damage.
You can generally figure it out, but the poor translation can be a little confusing, especially since the instructions are a bit generic to cover the different bulb models. Also, the screw holding the halogen bulb on mine was so loose the bulb was wobbling around. All I had to do was tighten it up, but it could've been a problem if I hadn't noticed it.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
not the greatest pics as its hard driving down the road and I dont think the pics show the true difference. of course these are halogen low and hid high.

halogen

hid

you can see how you can see the side of the road waaaaay out in front of you!
not sure why the pics came out so small, let me try something else.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
The manual is 100% Engrish.

Quote:
Please read first the foundation install the catalogue.
Before installing far near light system, please the first careful check power supply on-line and plus or minus pole, adjust input the exportation lead the linear position, then according to top the diagram shows the beginning gearing.
Do not make an effort the ambulation parts push pull the lamp bulb, will result in the lamp bulb damage

You can generally figure it out, but the poor translation can be a little confusing
Your Engrish is better than mine! Translation please!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
mine came from lumenenz, with no instuctions, I had to wing it. and having no luck on resizing my photos, they become too distorted.

·
Banned
448 Posts
So I am guessing that you won't be able to use a modulator with this type of headlight.
I can see using it with the standard halogen headlight. Guessing it won't work so well with the HID.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Would you believe me if I said I don't really know? =) Here's my guess:
  • Please read this entire manual before starting.
  • Before installing this hi/lo light system, first carefully check the polarity of the power supply wiring, something something something.
  • Do not try to push or pull the bulb, as this will result in damage to the bulb.
Really, if you think of this as a bulb that plugs into your harness (the stuff to the left of the rubber grommet) with a T going off to the ballast/transformer (the stuff to the right of the rubber grommet), it's fairly simple. I think the manual may have actually made it more confusing. The pictures include relays and wires going to the battery for some reason...

So I am guessing that you won't be able to use a modulator with this type of headlight.
I can see using it with the standard halogen headlight. Guessing it won't work so well with the HID.
Correct, as dariv stated. HIDs work like a fluorescent bulb - an arc of electricity is passed through a gas to make it glow. The power from the low beam connection doesn't directly power the HID bulb, it powers the ballast and transformer that light up the bulb. Modulators (or lower voltages from daytime running lights) will cause the ballast to not get enough power, making the HID not work properly (or at all).

In this kit, there is a separate halogen high beam bulb which is powered directly off the headlight plug. You could wire only that bulb to the modulator. That would give you HID on the low beam setting and modulated halogen on high.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts