·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
A couple of notes for those considering HID headlight
1. You must have the crystal cut headlight vs the faceted stock headlight.
HID's reflect off the back of the crystal cut rather than project through the faceted face of the headlight.
If you try a HID conversiopn with a faceted headlight you will not be happy with the resulting light pattern since it will just sort of scatter.

2. A few have considered buying the HID kits for automobiles and just using half or splitting it between two bikes. We tried this and the ballast went out. Seems the motorcycle ballast is built a little different to withstand the vibrations that occur more so with a motorcycle.

3. We picked up our kits on Ebay for about $100-$150

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Well the kit came in three days, I finally got around to installing it. Simple plug an play, ballast is the size of a credit card 1/2" thick. I mounted it under the tank. There is no need to buy a H.I.D. low and H.I.D high kit as the intensity will be the same. However I did buy the H.I.D low w/Halogen high kit. For the simple reason as with our scoots if the H.I.D. fails it will automaticly switch to the Halogen and you will still have reserve light. I tested this and it does work.

It is best to start the scoot before running the H.I.D, it will start easier and add life to the bulb. After ballast and bulb have warmed up there are no issues. I HIGHLY reccomend this kit. :beerchug: :rockon: :smiley_th
Here are pics of Halogen (high) and H.I.D. (low). :smiley_th It is better for our charging system to start w/halo then switch to H.I.D.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
If I didn't mention before get the 6000k kit, it is the second generation and produces 4200lm LUMEN. It is the highest output of the color/temp spectrum. :rockon:

·
Registered
112 Posts
A couple of notes for those considering HID headlight
1. You must have the crystal cut headlight vs the faceted stock headlight.
HID's reflect off the back of the crystal cut rather than project through the faceted face of the headlight.
If you try a HID conversiopn with a faceted headlight you will not be happy with the resulting light pattern since it will just sort of scatter.
Hi Dianna

Just a quick question, how do you tell the difference between the two types of headlight ?

All of my bikes use the H4 bulb so I wanted to try one kit on the VN750, if it works then the other two will get the same treatment. The guys on the VFR forum have been using the HID H4 bulb that moves to give high and low beams, they seem very happy with them.

Regards

DaveT
Kuala Lumpur

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Hi Dianna

Just a quick question, how do you tell the difference between the two types of headlight ?

All of my bikes use the H4 bulb so I wanted to try one kit on the VN750, if it works then the other two will get the same treatment. The guys on the VFR forum have been using the HID H4 bulb that moves to give high and low beams, they seem very happy with them.

Regards

DaveT
Kuala Lumpur
The difference between the two types of headlight is how it creates the pattern of light generated from the bulb.
Stock headlights have a faceted face on them. The outside glass of the headlight is patterned on the inside. The light from the bulb projects forward onto the glass.
A crystal cut headlight has the pattern on the bowl of the headlight, the outside glass is clear and smooth. The light from the bulb reflects back onto the bowl and out

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
This looks like a great way to get some more light for night riding.... something I've yet to do. But to use something like this, do I have to replace the entire headlight or just the glass to make this work properly? And what about being street legal?? The dangers of dazzling oncoming drivers not withstanding, sooner or later I'm going to face inspection.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
This looks like a great way to get some more light for night riding.... something I've yet to do. But to use something like this, do I have to replace the entire headlight or just the glass to make this work properly? And what about being street legal?? The dangers of dazzling oncoming drivers not withstanding, sooner or later I'm going to face inspection.
Some say you have to replace the lens and some say you don't. I have not taken it for a night ride to form an opinion, I will post as soon as I do. Working with race cars the H.I.D's they use have a clear lens as Dianna Described, so I will probably change the lens for maximum effect. Most aftermarket H.I.D. kits are not D.O.T. approved for street use. If you have to get an inspection simply unplug the H.I.D. bulb and install the standard bulb, then swap after inspection.:beerchug:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Dianna

Many thanks for the description of the different front glasses in the headlights.

I have decided get the HID kit from Ebay (same as lance328), just waiting now for it come come to Kuala Lumpur.

All the three bikes use the H4 bulbs so it will be a good test to try out and see how well it works, on the VN750. I like the idea of the separate halogen bulb as the HI beam so it the xenon blows you still have a light source to get home with. With a blown xenon then a usual H4 can be fitted until a replacement is bought. The same Ebay supplied wanted US$30 for a spare Xenon bulb, too much at the moment to have stored on the shelf.

I am going to test with the existing wiring and if it seems ok, put a couple of relays in the lighting circuit, HI and LO relays and run a new power wire straight from the battery, then the higher turn on surge will not go through old wiring and switch contacts. Then I can fuse near the battery and protect the cable to the headlights against any shorts to the frame, larger cable as well, less voltdrop, lower current surge.

Now a question on the headlamp unit, if the existing headlamp glass and reflector do not work well with the Xenon bulb, where can Iget a replacement from and any ideas on approxmate cost ?

Many thanks

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Hey Davet,

I just bought a diamond cut capsule, there is a link below. The only problem is you have to remove the brackets fron the old HL and install the on the new HL w/ small screws and epoxy. As soon as I do mine I will post The process. Now If you have a Fairing you simply install the new HL. The kit works fine with existing wiring, just start the scoot before starting the H.I.D. :beerchug:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=270338210065

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Dianna

I am going to test with the existing wiring and if it seems ok, put a couple of relays in the lighting circuit, HI and LO relays and run a new power wire straight from the battery, then the higher turn on surge will not go through old wiring and switch contacts. Then I can fuse near the battery and protect the cable to the headlights against any shorts to the frame, larger cable as well, less voltdrop, lower current surge.
You know, if you're going to do it up right and add relays and heavy gauge main feed from the battery, I recommend you wait to purchase the new lighting until after you run the stock halogen bulb on the new wiring. I did that and I found that the light output is about twice what it was before. The voltage drop was about 3 V through the stock harness, ignition, and reserve lighting unit and about 0.1 volts through the new wiring and relays. There's a writeup somewhere with the exact numbers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Darrel

That is a good thought, I never thought of checking the volt drop through the wiring to the headlight, 3v (25%) is a lot to drop for such a short distance and that will significantly increase the current drawn by the bulb. Plus bypassing the reserve lighting unit will be a bonus, removal altogether would be the go.

I have already ordered the Xenon kit as the 3 bikes I have all use the H4 bulb, the VN was the easiest one to play with to see how it works. I really want the Xenon to fit into the Voyager as that is bike that I think would get the most use at night or dusk.

I'll let you know how it goes with the rewire and Xenon kit.

Regards

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Hi Darrel

That is a good thought, I never thought of checking the volt drop through the wiring to the headlight, 3v (25%) is a lot to drop for such a short distance and that will significantly increase the current drawn by the bulb. Plus bypassing the reserve lighting unit will be a bonus, removal altogether would be the go.

I have already ordered the Xenon kit as the 3 bikes I have all use the H4 bulb, the VN was the easiest one to play with to see how it works. I really want the Xenon to fit into the Voyager as that is bike that I think would get the most use at night or dusk.

I'll let you know how it goes with the rewire and Xenon kit.

Regards

With the Xenon kit you won't have to rewire since the ballast produces the high voltage needed to start the arc. Once it is lit it will use 1/3 less power than a standard Halogen and produce 3 times the output. Mine is working just fine without rewiring. :smiley_th

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Hey Davet,

I just bought a diamond cut capsule, there is a link below. The only problem is you have to remove the brackets fron the old HL and install the on the new HL w/ small screws and epoxy. As soon as I do mine I will post The process. Now If you have a Fairing you simply install the new HL. The kit works fine with existing wiring, just start the scoot before starting the H.I.D. :beerchug:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=270338210065
Wait... now I'm confused. I'm sorry, but now that you've said "works fine with existing wiring"....
Do I need to buy BOTH this gizmo and the HID Conversion Kit? Or will just this guy do the job of getting me some nice H4 light?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Wait... now I'm confused. I'm sorry, but now that you've said "works fine with existing wiring"....
Do I need to buy BOTH this gizmo and the HID Conversion Kit? Or will just this guy do the job of getting me some nice H4 light?
Yes! I said the system works fine with existing wire, MEANING "no rewiring needed" and YES! you need to install a capsule w/adiamond cut reflector to get the focused beam of a TRUE H.I.D. system. You can just install the new capsule and get a better focused light with an H4 bulb, but you will still have 1/3 the output of an H.I.D. system.

Once I install the new capsule I will post pictures of standard beam, H.I.D w/standard capsule, standard beam w/ new capsule, and H.I.D. w/new capsule.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Any progress on this new capsule and it's install process?
The capsule has not com in yet, I will post when I getter done. :rockon:

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
This is SUCH an old thread but just had to post that I just installed the HID kit that Lance recommended and the whole job took about 15min. :smiley_th Just used existing wiring and will leave stock headlight/bucket in place and see how it works for a while. HID is SUPER bright but works great. :wow: If you think you might not be able to handle this mod, you're wrong, an 8-yr-old could do it. Mounted the ballast behind the left plastic yellow reflector and you can't see it unless you look REAL close. Anyway, many thanks to the Professor for all of his solid advice!! :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts