Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I just installed my H6/ H4 conversion and did a quick test on it with the tank off. The HID bulb lit up fine but the hi beam indicator was on all the time and when I switched the hi/low the beam did not change. Not sure what's going on here. I wired up the pigtail that plugged into the old 3 prong connector per the instructions. The rest of the install was all connectors and only one way to plug them in so everything should be correct. I was wondering if the leads that I soldered to the pig tail were backwards. Just looking for some ideas. Also,
the black wire from the headlight pigtail did not show that it was connected in the instructions so I left it loose. I guess I'll try grounding that next to see if that is the only issue.
Thanks for Looking!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I disconnected the HID pigtail from the stock lamp connector and reconnected the stock lamp and my headlight indicator lamp on my dash is still illuminated and only one brightness when switching from high to low. Looks like my reserve light unit is toast? Any ideas?
P.S. I found that one of the wires for the HID 35W connector had a bad crimp and was pulled out. I soldered it in but still only one brightness on the HID...

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
? ? ? Sorry, unable to assist, I have no idea.
WilliamTech

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Check your Light grounds....
WilliamTech

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Did you get the kit with an HID bulb and a small H4 halogen bulb mounted together?If you didn't, then you only have a single bulb and the RLU is not"seeing" any resistance and reads it as an open circuit. Do you have one ballast or two with different values?

Sounds like everything is working like it should ,if you have the wrong kit.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Do you have a link for the kit?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the link, it is supposed to be compatible with our bikes. I tried plugging in the stock bulb but it gave the same indication. Turns out the low filament is open. I was looking at a post somewhere that someone had to add a resister to the low beam circuit because it wasn't pulling enough current. I'll need to look that one up again. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11050.m43.l1123/7?euid=518c789acd47479782bf5587900b5d18&loc=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130887504358&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get the kit with an HID bulb and a small H4 halogen bulb mounted together?If you didn't, then you only have a single bulb and the RLU is not"seeing" any resistance and reads it as an open circuit. Do you have one ballast or two with different values?

It has a connection for both bulbs. two for the HID and one for the H4.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check your Light grounds....
WilliamTech
Funny thing with the ground. The pigtail that was supplied for the connection to the H4 connector (according to the documentation supplied) uses the high and low beam as control signals for the HID unit. Shows no connection for the ground wire. I guess it is grounded through the controller. I did try grounding it but it made no difference. The unit is grounded directly to the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts

I've done some research and I found issues with voltage as well as one person stating there's little difference if any when switching back and forth between high and low. This came from someone who had a similar system as you in that you have one bulb. Here's the link keeping in mind his system is a H4 and not a H6/H4

http://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/everything-you-need-know-about-hid-installs-143337/

I wish I could have been more help.

My setup for my bike has two separate bulbs. I chose it because that's what was on the bike even though there's no specific bike listed at the web site:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120886168645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It has a connection for both bulbs. two for the HID and one for the H4.
I think Kanuck69 has his setup with the H4 on the High beam side of the switch and the HID on the low beam. PM Kanuck and ask him if I am correct on this. I think the RLU has to see resistance on the High beam or the dash light stays on.

I think he told me this is how his is wired and although High and Low seem backward on the switch it is really no problem to tell the difference and the Dash light will function properly.I may be wrong here .I am going from memory and he can tell you more details.Good luck,and I hope I have helped at least a little.

I don't know much but I generally know who to ask :smiley_th

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks, all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think Kanuck69 has his setup with the H4 on the High beam side of the switch and the hid xenon kits on the low beam. PM Kanuck and ask him if I am correct on this. I think the RLU has to see resistance on the High beam or the dash light stays on.

I think he told me this is how his is wired and although High and Low seem backward on the switch it is really no problem to tell the difference and the Dash light will function properly.I may be wrong here .I am going from memory and he can tell you more details.Good luck,and I hope I have helped at least a little.

I don't know much but I generally know who to ask :smiley_th
Hello friend can you provide some brief information about HID installation.. I a
have got new kit but completely unaware about the installation.. If you reply positively I will send some pics and we can begin..Waiting for reply.. Thanks in advance:):rockon::rockon:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts