Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the benefit and improved longevity of fellow VN750 riders out there (and anyone else who visits this thread), I humbly submit the following website and its embedded links, for your review and scrutiny as future food for thought:

http://www.highviz.org/

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Good site. The Military requires us to wear a reflective vest at night. I wear mine no matter what time of day it is.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have a jacket and a vest like those.
They work great.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I wear the ICON milspec vest on base, mandatory to wear contrasting color in datlight and reflective at night. The milspec vest does it all.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
It's interesting around here, scooter riders have increased dramatically, (probably like everywhere), but here there's a common misconception that you don't need to wear a helmet when riding one. (we have helmet laws, 50cc and over)

Anyway, almost every scooter rider you see will wear a Hi-Vis vest or jacket, but very few will wear a helmet. (Usually you see the helmet being used as a foot rest on the the footboards.)

They sure seem to have alot of trust in the hi-vis stuff, and while I don't doubt it cuts the risk, I don't think it eliminates it, and I don't know what the hell the local scooter riders are thinking.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Theauhawk I really like your Kawasaki emblem with the woman on it!!! I'd love to get a patch like that!
Is there somewhere I can go to get that printed out? Or get a patch?

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Theauhawk I really like your Kawasaki emblem with the woman on it!!! I'd love to get a patch like that!
Is there somewhere I can go to get that printed out? Or get a patch?
no kidding, I think that avatar would make a great patch or sticker, too! :rockon:

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Our OPNAVINST only requires the reflective gear after sundown with a bright long sleeved outer garment during the day. Uniforms don't count. I wear a mesh armored jacket with the reflective vest all the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi-viz is part of my internal version of ATGATT. I have a kevlar mesh Cycleport (formerly Motoport) jacket that zips into stretch kevlar pants from them, making a one-piece that is even easier IMO to get in and out of than an Aerostich.

Straight from the manufacturer, both pieces have plenty of reflective tape. I went with the Hi-Viz lime/yellow for the jacket, and it is so retina-searing that even Northern Virginia traffic tends to let me drive in a nice protective bubble.

I was riding with a white helmet, too, but recently upgraded to a GMax G-68S with their awesome integrated LEDs on the back of the helmet. The only thing I have left to do is add a little more light to the VN750, and if anybody ever claims they didn't see me they're effing blind!

(And looking at that website, I didn't know my tendency to weave in my lane a bit was a good visibility tactic -- I just do it because it's fun!)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Our OPNAVINST only requires the reflective gear after sundown with a bright long sleeved outer garment during the day. Uniforms don't count. I wear a mesh armored jacket with the reflective vest all the time.
Must have changed since I was in. We had to wear the orange saftey vests any time we were on base with our bikes. Day or night. We were suppose to wear them off base as well, but I don't think anyone ever did.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
No, I really didn't forget about the referenced previous thread.

This new thread is really meant to be supplemental--perhaps some redundancy (but really--so what???), and a lot of other safety info in the newer link, than in the other(s). There's also other (non-safety) info, that's interesting reading and/or educational (e.g., check out the link on "touring"...some good reading there).

Plus: here we see a serious campaign put on by a state (in this case, Minnesota) to use this "hi-viz" concept to reduce motorcycle traffic accidents and/or deaths. I thought that was pretty neat....:smiley_th

If someone else reads something else here (from a different perspective) that saves them from a mistake (or worse yet, a crash), then maybe this thread was worth it......

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
No, I really didn't forget about the referenced previous thread.
This new thread is really meant to be supplemental--perhaps some redundancy (but really--so what???), and a lot of other safety info in the newer link, than in the other(s). ......

Well, that was a rhetorical question really, was just providing the link to the other thread for eveyones benifit as it deals with the same subject , and searching this forum can be a PIA sometimes..............

KM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts