Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my '94 VN750 next weekend and am very excited to finally be riding again.

I was out of work for a while and had to let my toys go one by one, sometime in 2004 I sold my '86 Maxim 700 and have been without a ride since. I was never happy with the footpeg position on that bike but the exhaust downtubes prevented any kind of highway pegs or forward controls and ever since that time I was looking for a Vulcan.

I finally got around to shopping seriously over the winter and made a deal last week that I am very happy with. Thanks to this forum I was well aware of the ACCT issue (mine will need some attention) and the battery concerns (mine is a new AGM type) so it really helped me to negotiate well.

In addition to needing to address the ACCT I the deal includes new saddlebags, National windshield, and a custom seat...none of which have ever been installed, and are brand new in the box...so I am busy reading the Verses to learn more about what I will be getting into when I start putting this stuff on.

I hope to not burden anyone with my newbie issues but I am thankful for all the knowledge already accumulated here! Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Welcome! I think nobody on this forum is bothered by questions, so don't worry about that. Most people here are glad to help out in any way that we can. Good luck with everything and don't hesitate to ask any questions you have!

There's already a lot of info on the Vulcan Verses, so be sure to read through them. Look for the spline lube procedure, one of the first things you should check on your bike.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Where are you in the Hudson Valley? Cold Spring is a great little town to ride to for a Sunday brunch and there are some good motorcycle roads near it.

-Sloppy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome!

I currently live in Tuxedo, in Orange County, but will be moving within the nexct few months elsewhere in Orange, or possibly Rockland or Ulster County. I will likely stay this side of the river so I don't have to deal with the Tappan Zee for my commute to and from work, but might consider it for the right situation.

I grew up down here but have never ridden here, all my riding was in the Finger Lakes region or Western NY (Rochester/Buffalo), with some trips in Manitoba and Ontario over the years. I'm excited to see what this area looks like from atop a bike, I think I will quickly find many places off the beaten path that I wouldn't have gone to otherwise :)

Best,

Matt

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
The roads around Bear Mountain are pretty good and packed with motorcycles on the weekends. They don't compare to the absolutely beautiful roads around Lake George for Americade ( http://www.americade.com/ ) which if you ride a bike and live in NY and have never been to is a crime against motorcycling.

I'm pretty close to the Indian Point Power plant :doh: and hope it gets closed. Anyway we moved up to Westchester from the city a few years ago and it is so much nicer up here for a 1,000 reasons. Biking in the city is a game of survival, going for a bike ride up here is just heaven by comparison.

New Paltz a little ways North is also a good town for having a motorycle ride to for brunch and the roads are pretty sweet around it. Check out the roads to the Mohonk Preserve just to the West of New Paltz on Google maps or something. I drove that road once in car full of people and swore I'd go back with my bike some day.

-Sloppy

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome back to the two wheel madness Mattman.

Here`s an option for converting your ACCTs to Manual operation on the cheap:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4912
Read it all the way through before starting, as some changes/improvements are made as you progress through the thread.

If DIY improvising isn`t your thing, What are you doing here?? <Just kidding:)>
No, really, TOC Manufacturing has HD springs for rebuilding the ACCTs, or they sell very good but somewhat pricey Manual tenioners (MCCT) at 50 bucks a pop.
http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/ACCT.htm

Check this link on installing saddlebags from sloppy`s signature above^^^:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9851
He offers some good tips for getting the bags correctly located, and relocating the signal lights, if necessary.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Cold Spring is a great little town to ride to for a Sunday brunch
If I remember right, there's a nice lil riverfront restaurant/bar there too (mebbe closed now, been years), and Rt9D from Peekskill all the way to Fishkill is a nice ride. Then ya go cross river to the Newburgh riverfront and hit Gully's. its a bar/restaurant built on an old barge. And yes, it does move with the waves, lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts