Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first brand new bike an 06 VN 750.After checking out many other bikes I knew this one was for me as soon as I sat on it.I feel in total control and comfortable when I am riding it.I really like it so far.I am concerned about the break in period I want to do it right.I am following what it says in the book to the letter.If anyone can give me some other tips or opinions on this I sure would welcome them.Thanks for any help in advance.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Well, I can't help ya with break in advice. Only new bike I've broke in was my dirtbike.

But I can say Welcome

There's lots of info here, so look around a bit and you'll probably find some answers to questions ya didn't even know ya had.

Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I broke my new 06 in like the manual states, I did the first oil change at 300 miles, and I did the second change at 1k. After that you can do what you want as far as running the bike. One thing to look out for is the rear end splines and the amount of grease on those splines. I checked my splines on my 06 at 1k and found that the drive shaft coupling and rear end splines had little or no grease on them. I broke out the Moly 60 grease and greased the splines along with spraying white lithium grease on the universal joint that is covered by the boot at the front of the shaft. The entire job took my just under two hours and I didnt it by myself.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Hyper
I will look around.It's funny since I got the bike I can't seem to get enough info about it.Hungry to learn all I can.Have a safe 4th

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Rubline.I am not to handy with a wrench.Do you think the dealer will charge me an arm and a leg to check this for me.It must be a big job if it took you two hours.

·
Registered
277 Posts
welcome eggnog,

congrats on the new ride. join the yahoo vn750 group, there is a ton of info on this bike at that site also. between these 2 sites you would have not much need for dealer srevices. the money you save from giving them you an invest in bling for the bike.
ride safe, john

·
Registered
553 Posts
Eggnog said:
Thanks for the info Rubline.I am not to handy with a wrench.Do you think the dealer will charge me an arm and a leg to check this for me.It must be a big job if it took you two hours.
I'm not real handy with a bike either, for some reason they scare me unlike cars. Anyway, I had my splines lubed when the dealer replaced my tire, he got me for a extra 1/2 hr labor. Spline greasing alone alone is only about a hour job at the dealer. Probably would've taken me 3 or 4 hours.Hope you like your 750, we all like ours.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well I would think that the dealer gets around 80-90 bucks and hour for labor. If your unsure of you doing it yourself, maybe you have a friend that can help you. Otherwise bring it to the dealer, because the cost of a failed rear drive will be 6times the amout the dealer will charge you for the greasing of the splines.
Just my .02 cents

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Hey Eggnog, welcome and congrats on your new bike! You'll have loads of fun on the 750. You've come to the right place, with all the folks around here eager to help you if you need it. Great folks here.

If you want to see what the spline lube job looks like, check the link in my sig. I and a few others have put together a "how to" on the spline lube job. It's not a hard job by any means. It just takes time. Anyway, at least have them checked so you can relax and ride!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.