Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good time of the day to everyone. thanks for the great place you created. if everything goes right i will be a happy owner of a 92 kawi vn750 in about a week. it will be my first bike.

i know that it's not a perfect bike for beginner but i felt comfortable the 2 minutes or so i got to ride it in the parking lot (i passed MSF cource las year) and removing the smile was impossible for next couple of hours. it was not my first choise of bike but the more i look the more i like it.

ok, some questions:
1 the price. owner asks for 1500. bike has 15000miles, runs good and looks desent. jardine forward controlls are installed. fair price or to good to be true?

2. what would be a normal idle for this bike? this one idles at 1800 rpm. the owner claims he installed less restrictive air filters and rejet the carbs richer. good idea?

3. the tires are brand new installed a month ago or so. obviosly it involved removing the wheel - does this mean the splines got greased or at least looked at? overall owner claims he mainteined the bike well but i dont want to blindly trust him on that one.

thanks a lot

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Heya Tankist and welcome to the forums.

The VN750 is my first bike also and I DO think it's the perfect beginner bike. Maybe beyond that too. I like it becasue it's light, maneuverable, and good on gas. Those make it plusses for me as a new owner. Now that I have put almost 3k on it myself I can say that there is plenty of bike to grow into. You'll see =) and likely be glad you didn't buy a 400 or whatever you were considering.

1. That seems like a good price to me. I bought a '95 with 13k and some neglect for $1800 and thought I got a deal. Then I bought a '93 with 23k for $1800 that was well maintained and KNEW I got a deal. I suppose the price may vary with your geographic area, I am in Tacoma WA area.

2. Idle should be between 12-1500. Get a Clymers manual asap!

3. The new rubber alone is worth some bucks as well as the mount/balance. I don't know the cost on your brand but I got Metzeler Marathons at cost and the bill still came to $350ish. Just because the wheel was off doesn't mean anything else was looked at, brakes, bearings, splines...anything. Ask explicitly.

Good luck, I hope if you buy it you enjoy it as much as my wife and I enjoy ours.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks a lot for the reply. peeked at your gallery - nice couple:)
will order Clymers right after i close the deal.

i am not into crusers or crotch rockets (or should i say i WAS not into crusers:)), i was looking for a standart street bike. but the moment i saw this one in person something clicked inside my head. IMHO the 750 is absolutley not photogenic, i wasnt impressed when i looked it up online. however it looks amaising in real life - pics dont do even little justice to this bike!

i test drove ninja 250 and suzuki gs500 before, they were anywhere near the 750! i know i'm going to enjoy this bike for long time.:motorcycl

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Tankist,

My '99 Vulcan is my first streetbike. I rode dirtbikes for about 12 years before that.
I got it about 5 years ago now. It had less than 7000 miles & I got it for $4000. The price you mention for yours sounds good to me.

Like you, at first I wasn't all that impressed with the looks. Then I realized, it has a look all it's own. Which I like.
It's not like alot of other bikes out there that seem like they're trying to copy the look of a Harley.
When you see one on the road, you instanly know it's a Vulcan (unless it's had an ear shave)

As far as the idle, there's times I'll adjust it 2 or 3 times while riding before I think it's "settled in" (once it completely warms up)
My personal preference is about 1000 RPM's.

Like Repairman said, don't assume the splines have been looked at. Yes, the tire is removed to change it, but looking at the splines takes a bit more to remove. And checking it isn't part of my "normal" maintenance.

My tip to any first time Vulcan owner would be.... Be sure you have a good battery. Alot of folks here go with the maintenance free ones. I still have a standard, check the fluid to be sure it's full, one.
There were a couple times the bike wasn't running right, and it all boiled down to low water level in the battery.

I think you will throughly enjoy owning/riding the Vulcan.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
tankist said:
Good time of the day to everyone. thanks for the great place you created. if everything goes right i will be a happy owner of a 92 kawi vn750 in about a week. it will be my first bike.

i know that it's not a perfect bike for beginner but i felt comfortable the 2 minutes or so i got to ride it in the parking lot (i passed MSF cource las year) and removing the smile was impossible for next couple of hours. it was not my first choise of bike but the more i look the more i like it.

ok, some questions:
1 the price. owner asks for 1500. bike has 15000miles, runs good and looks desent. jardine forward controlls are installed. fair price or to good to be true?

2. what would be a normal idle for this bike? this one idles at 1800 rpm. the owner claims he installed less restrictive air filters and rejet the carbs richer. good idea?

3. the tires are brand new installed a month ago or so. obviosly it involved removing the wheel - does this mean the splines got greased or at least looked at? overall owner claims he mainteined the bike well but i dont want to blindly trust him on that one.

thanks a lot
Maybe I missed it but you didn't say what year the bike was. Either way it has been riden and that is a plus. I'd be leary of a ohhh say an 86 with 2,000 miles on it. Means that baby has been sitting around gumming up. Not so in this case.
BTW.. those forward controls on this bike retail for about $400-500, so if you decided you didn't like them you have a good chance of getting some money back by selling them.

Idle should be set at 1000 or 1100 rpm +/- 50 according to the manual (and I don't have mine with me) You can pick up a Clymers manual for about $15-20 on Ebay.

And I'll echo the thought.. check the splines anyway. In fact my rule of thumb on buying any used bike is to go through and change/check fluids, grease and lubes as well as electrical connections. It gives you a real good chance to get to know your bike and also a solid base for your maintenance records.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dianna, hyperbuzzin, thanks for your reply.
i thought i said the bike is 92 with ~15000 miles on it

as you said new battery is a must. this one still has the factory one. after i finished the test ride and parked the bike i forgot to put it in neutral and stalled the engine ( i was very exited and forgot about the rest of the world). bike had some problems to start and it sounded like a week battery. i will pick one right after i close the deal.

the bike comes with services of a mechanic. front suspention was very stiff and owner agreed to fix it before the sale (thats where the bike right now - in the shop. i will test ride it again when its done). this mechanicis is the one who serviced the bike till now and i hope i'll be able to find out what exactly was done to the bike.

no matter what he replies i intend to check the splines myself. i never serviced a motorbike before but i know how to hold the tools (have extensive experience as a bycicle mechanic and some car experience to)

this forum looks like a great place to get information and ask questions in the future. thanks a lot

·
Registered
8 Posts
1992 Vulcan 750

Tankist:
I think $1,500 is a fair price for that bike, assuming it's otherwise pretty clean and has been taken care of. Last summer I purchased a 1991, Vulcan 750 with 24,000± miles on it for around $1,500. I had to put a new rear tire on, and have the tank and carbs cleaned out, a tune up, etc... that cost me around $500. I since had to replace the fuel lines, not a big deal if you're at all handy. I recomend you do that soon if you just got theTbike. I was ont he road when one of the fuel lines developed a small hole. I was lucky to be aboe to do a road side fix, but I replaced all the lines when I got home. The ground wire lug that attaches under the seat to the frame broke off this past weekend. I went to the local Ace hardware store, and purchased some heavy gauge wire, and a few copper lugs and soldered up a new ground wire. I think the parts cost me about $3, and it took me about 30 minutes to make up a new wire and install it. (The local Kaw dealer wanted over $20 for the part, and a week to get it in). My point, is for a bike that age, and mileage, expect to have to put some time and money into it to get it to be running good. A new, good sealed battery is important. There are some other threads on this site that talk about batteries. I love the 750. It's a great starter bike. (I recomend the local bike safety and training course) I bought this bike after MANY years of not riding, but I had other bikes in the past, 600cc, 950 cb supersport, and have riden goldwings so this is not my first bike, but the Vulcan has plenty of power, handles great, and hasn't changed much in the 20 years. I've looked at newer bikes, 2003, 2005, etc... and I have a hard time finding anything that has changed from my 91.
Good luck with it.

Vulcan91

1 - 8 of 8 Posts