Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Only just signed up but have been using your site for invaluable information on my bike for the last couple of months.

Its a '93 model. Bought as spares or repair. Problem being it had noisy tappets!

Thanks to your site I was able to diagnose the fault as a noisy ACCT (I'm even picking up the lingo). Quick repair later and a few other jobs replacing tatty parts and I'm now on the road.

Your site may very well have helped me out again. I'm currently offshore on a vessel in the North Sea planning an adventure for when I get back. I'm travellling from the UK to Croatia in June with my girlfriend as pillion. I've decided I need to get my bike ship shape for the journey so again consulted your site for an excessive backfiring problem with my bike (which I currently rather enjoy but may get a bit tedious over the 1300 miles to Split, and also may attract unwanted attention). Again you seem to have come up trumps with a few solutions for the problem. Shame I have to wait another week to get off the boat so I can try them.

So again, thank you so much to all for putting this site together and making it such a valuable wealth of information for the much loved VN750.

If I can contribute at any time to this community I will do, if not on the web site then to fellow VN750 owners in person. I currently live in Plymouth, UK so if anybody's down that way and is broke down, bored, or just fancies a pint then please dont hesitate to contact me.

Thank you all,

Gabriel

PS. Leaving UK at the beginning of June for Croatia so any contacts on route would be very well received and also advice about the bike for a 3000 mile journey would be gratefully accepted.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Welcome to the group. Glad that we were of help to you. I'm a bit out of the way from your route.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Hello and welcome. Best of luck with your bike. But be aware the Vulcan 750 is not a good 2 up bike, and your girlfriend may not be happy on a long trip. Jerry.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd seriously consider repadding the seat and getting an extended backrest if you don't have one already.

I've done some long trips on the VN750, but she needs a few mods for true long distance comfort - Seat and windscreen to start.

Sounds like an Awesome trip though! Have fun and travel well if we don't hear from you before then.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Welcome. Your rider will enjoy the extended backrest, especially for such a long trip. Hope she's on the smaller side, because as others have mentioned, it gets cramped riding two up. For long distances, the stock seat is uncomfortable to most folks. Many have modified or replaced the seat with a custom one (Mustang or Corbin).

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Any Which Way But The Right One

Thanks for all the replies.

Have won a few items off Ebay for me to fit when I get back on shore. I've got a screen on the way and a sissy bar. I'm still on the look out for panniers or saddle bags. Any suggestions on which would be best?

Thanks for the tip with the seat. I may invest in a pillow or if I have time recover and re-pad the seat. I was reading about one guys travels in hot countries and he was suggesting using a sheepskin cover over the seat. Apparently this makes the sweaty plastic a bit more comfortable. Sounds like a good idea. Has anyone tried it?

We are doing a test run of about 700 miles round trip in a couple of weeks. A journey we'd usually make in our camper but decided to trial on the bike so we can make any very last minute adjustments.

I personally have had experience with the hardship of long distance motorcycle riding. Last January my brother and I rode Honda 125's (CB and CG) from Manchester to Morocco, a 3000 mile trip, in winter. We called the trip The Wrong Way Down. If anyones interested there's a Facebook page with photos on here: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...id=38646647430

or search for The Wrong Way Down on Facebook.

We are also planning another trip next summer (2011) from Manchester to Moscow on Honda C90's called The Wrong Way Round. Again here's another link to the new adventure: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...14420285245951

or search for The Wrong Way Round on Facebook.

Anymore advice regarding the bike, extras, etc is gratefully received.

Hi Strange Paul.....only up the road. Maybe we should start our own VN750 chapter. If you're ever in the area give me a shout.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Gabriel. Welcome to the group. Let me know if you're going to be in N. E. Lincs on one of your "shorter" runs. Good luck with the test run.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Of the 45 bikes I've owned (a few were dirt bikes) the Vulcan 750 has, IMO, the most comfortable seat of them all. For the rider. Add a Protac riders backrest, and it just doesn't get any better. I can ride from daybreak to sunset with no pain. But the rear part of the seat is just the opposite. I used to take my 2 daughters for rides all the time when they were kids, but now that they are grown, they just don't fit. In fact they refuse to ride on it anymore because of how uncomfortable it is. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks for the replies and advice. Please keep them coming. Thanks for the info on the seat. I guess I'll have to find a solution to this. Waterproof pillow maybe?

Hi RetroGaz. I'm up that way quite often as my girlfriend lives that way. In fact my bike is currently in Wisbech. Any cruises or bike meets that you go to?

Cheers,

Gabriel

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness. Ifn mama ain`t happy, ain`t nobody happy.
The Butty Buddy may make the pillon seat more comfortable for her:
http://www.buttybuddy.com/

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
After seeing the video, all I am sure of is that she can ride with me whenever she wants.
And if it hurts, I'll rub it for her.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Many thanks for the replies and advice. Please keep them coming. Thanks for the info on the seat. I guess I'll have to find a solution to this. Waterproof pillow maybe?

Hi RetroGaz. I'm up that way quite often as my girlfriend lives that way. In fact my bike is currently in Wisbech. Any cruises or bike meets that you go to?

Cheers,

Gabriel
Hi Gabriel. I tend to go where the mood takes me, so nothing that I go to religiously. The Lincolnshire bike nights are usually good, here's a link to their calender http://spen-crowson.co.uk/lincs_bike_nights.htm there is a better version of the calendar somewhere on the web.
Thursday nights down Cleethorpes sea front are good as a local get together, but Barton bike night is the big one around here, its on Wed 7th July this year. The whole town gets taken over with bikes from around the country. Well worth a visit if you're up this way. Barton's at the south end of the Humber bridge. Watch out for the law if you do go, they've got speed cameras everywhere.

·
Kwakka Dave
5 Posts
Just stumbles across this post by chance. I know its an old one. I am in the Exeter area and also ride a VN 750. Have you been to teignmouth bike night? Its every Tuesday at the train station. They are a nice bunch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts