Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are getting NGK Iridium plugs order these....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ngk+iridium+spark+plugs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7995586634432184525&sa=X&ei=Ew2vTvqkPLOG0QH8z_2sDw&ved=0CGEQ8wIwBQ

NOT THESE....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B0X00U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003HO604Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TRRFNWXTKF9T0EVRMPY

If you look at them they are EXACTLY the same. Same model number.. Both say Iridium IX.. Both are DPR7EIX-9 7803.. The only problem is the second one has a different endcap that doesnt fit our plug wires...

Waited a week for these. Im blown.. But just didnt want anyone else to make the same mistake.

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
245 Posts
You don't have the wrong ones. That cap will screw off.

If you can't get it with your fingers try a pair of pliers.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Yep, just unscrew it. For some reason, most cars use plugs with that cap on, while most motorcycles use them with it off.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are my new favorite person.

Thank you.

Jay

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If you are getting NGK Iridium plugs order these....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ngk+iridium+spark+plugs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7995586634432184525&sa=X&ei=Ew2vTvqkPLOG0QH8z_2sDw&ved=0CGEQ8wIwBQ

NOT THESE....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B0X00U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003HO604Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TRRFNWXTKF9T0EVRMPY

If you look at them they are EXACTLY the same. Same model number.. Both say Iridium IX.. Both are DPR7EIX-9 7803.. The only problem is the second one has a different endcap that doesnt fit our plug wires...

Waited a week for these. Im blown.. But just didnt want anyone else to make the same mistake.

Thanks

Jay
I have seen plugs come with the end cap loose in the box, ready to be screwed on if needed. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's my understanding they are resistors to reduce radio static and other RF issues.

My old '65 bug had a stock AM with the push pull station presets and would wine like crazy until I swapped out the plugs and wires with new resistor type.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
My old '65 bug had a stock AM with the push pull station presets and would wine like crazy until I swapped out the plugs and wires with new resistor type
Oh Yea ! I remb those radios, sometimes the static & noise from the spark was louder than the music in my '56 Chevy :) Loved that old AM signals to,, could get "Wolf Man Jack" after the sun went down LOL.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
It's my understanding they are resistors to reduce radio static and other RF issues.

My old '65 bug had a stock AM with the push pull station presets and would wine like crazy until I swapped out the plugs and wires with new resistor type.
What are resistors? The little metal caps? Don't think so.....

·
Registered
245 Posts

What are resistors? The little metal caps? Don't think so.....
Yeah, the caps themselves are not resistors. Just an adapter so to speak.

The resistor spark plugs have the resistor built in.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hey...

Save them caps btw in case you ever switch to automotive wires like I did. I had a heck of a time finding em, since most of my loose plugs are AC and dont screw off.

Yep, just unscrew it. For some reason, most cars use plugs with that cap on, while most motorcycles use them with it off.
As for the resistor, isnt that the "fuse lookin thingie" inside the NGK body ?
When I went to HP automotive wires, I needed to keep the NGK ends for the 2 deep plugs. When I disassembled them to fix the grab spring and install new wire, there was a spring and what looked like a fuse. If you come in from the plug end, youll see a brass piece thats supposed to have a wire which grabs the threads on the plug top. I had to replace my wire. Brass pirce is slotted, so I took a screwdriver and unscrewed it...voila, a fuse lookin thingie and spring.
Some plugs are resistor as well, but normally have an "R" designation in the part number.
BTW, I bought regular NGK plugs, and they had no screw on cap with em...bummer !

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wolfie- Why would you go to an automotive wire? What would be the advantage to that?

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
245 Posts
Save them caps btw in case you ever switch to automotive wires like I did. I had a heck of a time finding em, since most of my loose plugs are AC and dont screw off.

As for the resistor, isnt that the "fuse lookin thingie" inside the NGK body ?
When I went to HP automotive wires, I needed to keep the NGK ends for the 2 deep plugs. When I disassembled them to fix the grab spring and install new wire, there was a spring and what looked like a fuse. If you come in from the plug end, youll see a brass piece thats supposed to have a wire which grabs the threads on the plug top. I had to replace my wire. Brass pirce is slotted, so I took a screwdriver and unscrewed it...voila, a fuse lookin thingie and spring.
Some plugs are resistor as well, but normally have an "R" designation in the part number.
BTW, I bought regular NGK plugs, and they had no screw on cap with em...bummer !
Yeah, some spark plug covers have a resistor built in.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Why ?

Hi Perf automotive are cheaper....you can buy the wire in lengths REALLY cheap and then just attatch yer own ends (pretty colors too). I used the stock auto ends for the shallow plugs. Automotive perform better IMO than stock Kawi as well. Plus, if you buy a length (say 3' longer than needed) easy enough to do a quick replace if needed, plus you can cut the lengths to custom if needed. I installed blue wires, since my paint scheme is blue trim on black.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great info for the future.. I just replaced my wires with the NKG that was recomended in the VERSES.. So I imagine it will be some time before I have to do it again... But great advise and I will most likely do it in the future.. If nothing else just to have the experience of it.

Thanks Wolfie

Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts