Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here to the forum and as a Vulcan owner. I just purchased a 1997 Vulcan 750 with 22,000 miles. I recently replaced the exhaust with Vance and Hines Cruzers. I also replaced the stock air filters with K & N filters. I replaced the main jet in the carb to a 135 and a 138. Same problem with both jets. As soon as I hit 5th gear and try to cruise about 55-60 @ 4k RPM's the bike runs rough and sounds like it is missing. I checked the carb vent house that is supposed to be in the intake ear and cut it at 45 degree angle and tried relocating it- still have a problem. Is the main jet still to small? Please help. I really like this bike and I am starting to wish I never started modifiying it. Thanks.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

Is it possible you have over-oiled the new K&N filters?
Maybe as the rpms climb, the engine runs leaner.

PM lance328 with your mods and the elevation at your location. He will be able to tell you what jets you should be running, and any other advice on the 750.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I think the problem is the vent hose you cut and relocated. It has to be protected from the wind or you get exactly the symptoms you describe. Cutting it does no good if the wind can get to it. Cutting at an angle is to keep it from bottoming out in the stock air filter housing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts