Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out fabricating a fiberglass seat pan but couldn't keep my garage warm enough to do the fiberglass work. So I found a used seat on eBay and modified the stock seat. Let me know what you think. I also fabricated new saddle bag bracket supports and turn signal brackets. I plan to drop the rear end next, just haven't decided how much I want to drop.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The seat looks great, did you use the factory foam and just cut it down, or did you use new foam and shape it? was it difficult to recover it? Do yo uhave any experience in upholstery or anything like that or is this your first time?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a stock seat I got off ebay. I shave it down and cut the seat pan. No I don't have any upholstery experience, I just bought the vinyl at a fabric store and a electric stapler at Lowes. It was fairly easy to cover. I used a die grinder and sand paper disc to shape the seat area of the foam and put a layer of quilt batting on top before I covered it to hide any flaws in the foam. I used 3M Supter 77 spray adhesive to glue the batting to the foam. I bought the used seat for $25 so that if I messed up I would have the stock seat to still use. I plan to fab a removable backrest for the passenger seat. If you have any questions just PM me and I will try to help.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
I have a question that others might like to hear the answer to: how do you plan to fabricate the backrest and mounting brackets? CNC or other? I'm in the same boat after replacing my stock seat with one from a VN900. Just trying to figure out how to attach a backrest that I can remove when riding solo.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Looks great. Neat looking job. Taking off the built-in turnup backrest makes the bike look longer to me. I bought a new Saddlemens seat this past Fall but wish I had tried something like this. The Saddlemens seat is a big improvement for my confront over the stock seat but a Big Sportster 'your but is wide' seat would have been just up my alley.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am working on an idea for a removeable backrest for the wife. She doesn't ride with me very often so I want it easy to remove and install. If it works out I will post some pics with details.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks real nice! I've been having the same ideas for modification to my -86 VN750. Now i know the direction I wanna go in... Thanks :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
mounting bracket

I am trying to gind a mounting bracket so i can do it to mine but i am having trouble figuring out what they used.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
silver back probably won't answer since he hasn't been active in a long time,as this thread is six years old

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts