Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Vulcan 750 developed an oil leak at ~25,000 miles and this forum helped me to diagnose that the root cause was the shift shaft seal. There was a lot of great information in some old posts so I documented those best practices along with some of my own knowledge into a Youtube Video. I also made a previous post about the issue here. I hope this helps future Vulcan owners if they have the same issue as me.

I'm also working on making an entire Youtube playlist dedicated to service/maintenance for our bikes. Check it out here. I currently have videos for the ACCT to MCCT conversion (along with an easy way to adjust the MCCTs), final drive gear oil change, and coolant change. Next I will be working on videos for an oil change, brake fluid flush, spline lube, and front brakes. I may also do mods in the future, too (i.e. pickup coil mod).

As my bike needs work or maintenance, I'll add it to this playlist. Cheers!

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Good techniques, good video.

We can hear what you're saying, see what you're doing, and there wasn't any time wasted on irrelevant things. (too much of all that sometimes in videos)

$20 bucks is steep on that seal. :)

Nice floor too :p

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good techniques, good video.

We can hear what you're saying, see what you're doing, and there wasn't any time wasted on irrelevant things. (too much of all that sometimes in videos)

$20 bucks is steep on that seal. :)

Nice floor too :p
Thank you for the kind words. And yeah, when you look at it like $20 for a single little seal it's like "Really?" But the oil leak is fixed and I avoided a bill from the mechanic so that's a win. :)

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Thank you for the kind words. And yeah, when you look at it like $20 for a single little seal it's like "Really?" But the oil leak is fixed and I avoided a bill from the mechanic so that's a win. :)
..and it's not fouling up the floor anymore. :)

I keep forgetting the price has gone up on everything, best I can find quickly is $12.

Seafoam at the auto store was $14, and the 'High Mileage' seafoam was $15. I paid it so I wouldn't have to walk to the back of Walmart. It was $7-8 not that long ago.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Nice walkthrough. If you've got footage of each attempt to remove the seal, I'd be interested in seeing that too. Failures can sometimes be as informative as successes.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thumbs up for making a video to help others. I am sure it will be appreciated.
One thing though.
You need more projects. Your shop is too clean.
Thank you. And just wait until I get to the spline lube maintenance video. Plus I'll also need to get new tires put on front and back. The Vulcan's parts will be all over the garage. ;)

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice walkthrough. If you've got footage of each attempt to remove the seal, I'd be interested in seeing that too. Failures can sometimes be as informative as successes.
Good point. But unfortunately I don't have video recording of that. I only recorded what was sucessful/worked. It's hard to do a job for the first time ever AND record a video about it. I have a new appreciation for all the expertly produced and edited Youtube videos I watch after making my own. ;)

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Good point. But unfortunately I don't have video recording of that. I only recorded what was sucessful/worked. It's hard to do a job for the first time ever AND record a video about it. I have a new appreciation for all the expertly produced and edited Youtube videos I watch after making my own. ;)
Most definitely harder, I took note of that on your videos and often skipped even just taking pictures of some of my jobs.

Would love to see you mount your tires with zip ties. :)

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most definitely harder, I took note of that on your videos and often skipped even just taking pictures of some of my jobs.

Would love to see you mount your tires with zip ties. :)
LOL. In the ACCT to MCCT conversion video I repeatedly called the main adjust bolt a nut and vice-versa. So many extra considerations must be taken for video recording compared to just doing the job on your own while listening to music. I also have a new appreciation for VLOGS and even podcasts for that matter! ;)

The tires will be taken care of by a shop. But I'll use this opportunity to make videos for the spline lube and front brakes. :)

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Shucks, no zip ties.

People that find your videos will appreciate how clear and concise they are. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

I think about doing a video or pics, look around and think, nah ain't nobody got time for that.

If I get around to needing tires, I'll think about doing a video. :) I can save $90 with $2 worth of zip ties, and my wheels aren't scratched.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shucks, no zip ties.

People that find your videos will appreciate how clear and concise they are. Everything you need, nothing you don't.

I think about doing a video or pics, look around and think, nah ain't nobody got time for that.

If I get around to needing tires, I'll think about doing a video. :) I can save $90 with $2 worth of zip ties, and my wheels aren't scratched.
I'm not familiar with the zip tie method.

I can definitely relate to the "nobody got time for that". I wanted to do a brake fluid flush + video today after work, but that aint happening. One day soon, though. And next Saturday I have the day to myself (wife and kids are doing crafts with the MIL). So that's when I'll start the spline lube process. :D

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
I'm not familiar with the zip tie method.

I can definitely relate to the "nobody got time for that". I wanted to do a brake fluid flush + video today after work, but that aint happening. One day soon, though. And next Saturday I have the day to myself (wife and kids are doing crafts with the MIL). So that's when I'll start the spline lube process. :D
Both are good subjects (y)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Totally easier to do the success. I've done a couple tutorials, and always find myself wishing I'd gotten shots of certain parts of the process that just aren't possible to go back and accurately recreate, but also weren't possible to take a picture of in the moment without having three arms and two heads!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts