Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
No problem, glad to help. If I can give back 1/10th of the help I’ve received from this forum then I feel like I’m doing something.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I'm no carb expert, but if the carb body hasn't somehow been damaged, I see no reason to think the carbs need to be replaced. Yes, the O-rings, diaphragms and some other parts can go bad, but they are replaceable, and a lot cheaper than replacement carbs that may also need work.

Reactions: Will750

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I'm no carb expert, but if the carb body hasn't somehow been damaged, I see no reason to think the carbs need to be replaced. Yes, the O-rings, diaphragms and some other parts can go bad, but they are replaceable, and a lot cheaper than replacement carbs that may also need work.
Flitecontrol i had the carbs apart before and when tighting the main jet emultion tubes in i over tightened to the point i bent them in the carb. The pics are in this thread somewhere back along. Mmart thanks for the input and i feel the same way. The help i have recieved on here since i joined is nothing short of extrordinary.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
OK, I hadn't read all 120+ posts, so I missed that.

Reactions: Will750

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
I probably read too much into the drop you were seeing. Again, good observing, judging by that wiki info.

That leaves the internal leak on the one carb. Wonder if Jason got his carbs sold, I one of the new guys was interested. Carbs are harder to find.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I probably read too much into the drop you were seeing. Again, good observing, judging by that wiki info.

That leaves the internal leak on the one carb. Wonder if Jason got his carbs sold, I one of the new guys was interested. Carbs are harder to find.
Yeh there is not much on ebay either. I pulled the carbs just now, removed jet needles and main jet + emultion tubes. From what i can see it dont look to bad, but in saying that i dont have a known good one to compare it to. I will try get some pics if i can. Might be hard with it being so small of a area.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Just a few posts back, Will described watching fuel flowing past the slide needle and main jet at idle. When no fuel should flow through the mains.

We're thinking the body of the carb may be cracked around the main jet. So the one carb starts out rich, and only gets richer with more throttle. The crack being an uncontrolled fuel source.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Ok here are a few pics of both main jet orfices. Deffo looks like there is some sort of damage but as i said i cant compare to a non damaged one. These are the best i could get.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Don't see much that looks damaged, except the last pic. The hole looks egg shaped. Does that hole coincide with the bent jet!

If it's truly egg shaped, fuel could flow around the side of the jet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
I think its just the lighting is making it look egg shaped. The pics are from both carbs. If u zoom in on the second last pic. Inside looks like its rippled a bit. Im just thinking did it get squeezed in further as i tightened it. Also forgot to mention that when i was looking at the needle jets earlier, i played with the Air/fuel mixture screws and neither made any difference to the idle what so ever.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
When an air mixture screw doesn't have any effect, that indicates a problem somewhere else. Either air or fuel is being fed from somewhere, overriding the air circuit.

Edit: An exception to the above is if the idle is set higher than the threshold of the air circuit. This will override any adjustment of the air screw.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Ok gotcha. Been looking for a set of carbs to no avail. So i am gonna try whip up a manifold for a single carb. Not sure if its gonna work but while i wait for carbs to become available i might aswell try it. Nothing to lose at this stage. This bike is cursed im tellin ya. Like the demon himself. Lol

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ok gotcha. Been looking for a set of carbs to no avail. So i am gonna try whip up a manifold for a single carb. Not sure if its gonna work but while i wait for carbs to become available i might aswell try it. Nothing to lose at this stage. This bike is cursed im tellin ya. Like the demon himself. Lol
I still have my carbs, but I have someone else on the forum interested in them. In fairness to them, I can't offer them to you unless they turn them down, but if they pass on it, I'll let you know!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I still have my carbs, but I have someone else on the forum interested in them. In fairness to them, I can't offer them to you unless they turn them down, but if they pass on it, I'll let you know!
Ok thank you very much jason be sure to let me know if they pass on them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Ok been doin a bid of digging on the site and came across a thread about a carb that was over fueling from the same problem with the main jet emultion tubes being over tightend. Turns out that i more than likely cracked the collar that the main jet sits into. In one of the pics i posted the collar does look kinked so i think this is exactly what is wrong with mine. This is a pic of the said collar.

Here is a link to the thread.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts