Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed any of these H4 anti-flicker adapters? I put in an LED headlight (bulb only) and I haven’t done the mod to bypass the RLU to shut off the headlight failure light on the dash yet. The only time I noticed flicker was when I was stopped in traffic at idle, but still it wasn’t constant. Never gave it much thought to whether or not it was related to the RLU bursting or if it was just my stator preparing to crap out, which it did on Memorial Day. I’m not anti-mod, but if I don’t need to change something I do not want to because unless I get a house with a garage I don’t plan on keeping the bike forever and it’ll be a trade in on my next bike (hopefully a Kaw 900 custom). Would one of these adapters provide the same result and make the RLU work as intended. Just curious

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Some people install units to make their headlight flicker as a safety feature.

My LED tail lights flicker a bit at idle.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s understandable from a safety perspective, And I haven’t noticed any flicker in my taillights. What I’m curious about is whether or not the inline anti-flicker adapter will turn off the headlight failure indicator on the dash

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Only if it adds enough resistance in the wiring to fool the RLU.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Probably also cancels out any power savings, if that's what you're going for with LEDs. Same as with load resistors for LED turn signals.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading about the rectifiers and stators crapping out because they’re being caused to dump too much load, I’m not sure I’m overly concerned about saving power. The benefit of LED for me is the brightness more than anything. I’m learning this electrical system is borderline fragile and this might help it stay balanced. I don’t have much added other than driving lights.

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The LED bulb I bought does have the circuit inline. I only see an occasional flicker at idle, but not constantly. What I’m trying to figure out is since my original bulb used 55-60w and my LED bulb uses a max of 40w, the RLU thinks I have a blown bulb and is constantly switching. I have read on here that you can bypass the RLU by jumping two wires together at the connector. I was just curious if there was any adapter that could go in line with the bulb to shut off the warning indicator. Replacing all the stock type bulbs with LEDs is cool, but all that wattage you save has to be dealt with by the regulator which adds to its workload and burns them out quicker. It sounds like saving juice on this bike is only necessary if you want to add more things to draw the power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts