Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a nice relay kit off Amazon that included a 30/40A relay, 30A in-line fuse, and the connector for the relay with wires already ready to go. For the price I was pleased.

Now, I have zero electrical experience with diagrams and such, so I could use some help from you pros out there. I have a pic of the set, the top of the relay (diagram), the bottom of the relay (numbered posts), and the connector next to the relay showing what wire to what tab. I got two since I was going to run the ignition coils off of one, and the voltmeter off of the other. Should I just run them off the same relay, since the ignition coils are only 10A or so? More importantly, what goes where?

# - Color (Position based on image)

87 - Yellow (top)
86 - White (mid, left)
87a - Red (mid center)
85 - Black (mid right)
30 - Blue (bottom)

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
It appears to be a standard ISO relay.

30-aux power (bat?)
87-work (load)
86-switch power(orig coil wire ?)
85- grd

HTH....

edit-you are correct, 30 terminal would be a good place to power a voltmeter.

edit 2-87a (the center terminal) is not used, as it would power the 'work' when the switch (86) is off.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here is the explanation of how this relay is going to work. Think of it this way, its just a switch. Instead of flipping the switch with your fingers (like a light switch)
Having a ground on 85 and power applied to 86 will cause the switch to flip. Both conditions for 85 and 86 have to be met for the switch to operate.

When looking at the diagram of the relay as it sits (no power) pins 30 and 87a will be connected. As soon as you have a ground on 85 and power to 86 pins 30 and 87a will open and 30 and 87 will be connected.
Imagine that the line connected to 30 going to 87a is now going to 87.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Yup.

And to make it more convenient or confusing 30 and 87 are reversible. 85 and 86 are as well.

Ask specific questions?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

30-aux power (bat?)
87-work (load)
86-switch power(orig coil wire ?)
85- grd

HTH....

edit-you are correct, 30 terminal would be a good place to power a voltmeter.

edit 2-87a (the center terminal) is not used, as it would power the 'work' when the switch (86) is off.
87a is the same as 87 so if you wanted yor volt meter to work only when the key is on hook it up to 87a

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
87 and 87a are backwards. 87a will be powered when the activating circuit has no power. 87 will be powered when the activation circuit has power. 87a and 30 are common when nothing is attached. 87a and 87 are never common.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, that's a slew of information there, yet I'm still confused. Here's how I think I'm imaging this...

Battery (+) -> 30A Fuse -> Relay #30

Original Ignition Coil Power (+) -> Relay #86

Relay #85 -> Ground

Relay #87 -> Voltmeter(+) (and/or) Ignition Coils (+)

Does that sound right, or am I missing the mark? It appears 87a will be unused unless I want something to be on when the bike is off (could be useful for an alarm? not sure)

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Well, that's a slew of information there, yet I'm still confused. Here's how I think I'm imaging this...

Turn Signal Running Light (+) -> Relay #86

Relay #85 -> Ground

Does that sound right, or am I missing the mark? It appears 87a will be unused unless I want something to be on when the bike is off (could be useful for an alarm? not sure)
Yes. Exactly. Only for ease of instillation, either circuit can be turned around. 30 and 87 can be swapped, 85 and 86 could be swapped. Voltmeter can go to 87 or 30.

edit-tanner, I would want a trigger that dies with the kill switch, don't know about turn signals.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....I did it the easy way....I conned Merc and KC to come over and do it for me, lol....when it comes to "lectrics", Im a dope...yet I used to solder radios together on PC boards....go figure....

Dumb question, but on topic...if you have too many relays, will that strain your electrics ?...way I understand, its current that causes them to open/close....if one has 15 relays hooked up, will it strain the battery, etc ?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. Exactly. Only for ease of instillation, either circuit can be turned around. 30 and 87 can be swapped, 85 and 86 could be swapped. Voltmeter can go to 87 or 30.

edit-tanner, I would want a trigger that dies with the kill switch, don't know about turn signals.
I honestly don't use the kill switch unless it's an emergency. I'll usually keep the bike in first and drop down the kickstand to kill it, or use the key as I'm coasting in to the lot (to keep noise down).

That is a good point though, and probably should be noted if anyone is reading this thread in the future for reference. Maybe I'll just use the original coil power wire for the trigger instead.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
86 - positive trigger voltage
85 - ground for trigger voltage

these two leads are the input signal to activate the relay. you could swap them around since it is the current flowing through these leads that activate the relay and not the voltage. (the current is minimal).

30 - is intended to be the voltage source
87 - is Normally Closed and hot when the relay is NOT activated
87A - is Normally OPEN and will be hot when the relay is activated.

If it were me, I would feed the voltage into pin 87a and use pin 30 as the switched side(on when the relay is triggered) so that you don't have a hot lead when the relay is not activated.

if you use 30 as the input and 87a as the switched output, the 87 lead will be "HOT" when the relay is not activated. Make sure you tape that wire up if you are not using it and you hook up your source voltage to 30.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
kc, you have that backwards. Somebody ohm an unattached relay, 30 and 87a are common with no wires attached. 87 is the switched terminal.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
According to the diagram on the relay tthanner is using, pin 30 and 87à are common. Pin 87 is switched when power and ground is supplied to pins 85 and 86.
In other words pin 30 to 87a is closed until power and ground are applied to the electromagnetic coil, thus opening the circuit between pins 30 and 87a, and closing the circuit between pin 30 and 87.

An open circuit is a break in the path of electrical current. A closed circuit completes the path of electrical current to complete the circle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I honestly don't use the kill switch unless it's an emergency. I'll usually keep the bike in first and drop down the kickstand to kill it, ... as I'm coasting in to the lot.
How do you do that, exactly?

Doesn't it stop coasting when the engine dies, or fire back up when you pull the clutch in? I really don't know, never tried it. If I want to coast in, I use the kill switch.

Those switches are there to keep you from moving with the kickstand down.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts

Doesn't it stop coasting when the engine dies, or fire back up when you pull the clutch in? I really don't know, never tried it. If I want to coast in, I use the kill switch.

not pertinent to thread, PM him with your question

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I just pull in the clutch and turn her off, coasting with the clutch dis-engaged. I don't think she'd fire if you re-engaged the clutch since the ignition system should be switched off at that stage. If it would, then it'd be damn easy to steal (break the steering lock, bump start, free bike).

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
slim,

Was I wrong earlier with this setup? Would you change anything? I'm planning to just remove the unused 87a wire from the harness.

Original Ignition Coil Power (+) -> Relay #86 (I'm temporarily going to tap the turn signal running light +)

Relay #85 -> Ground

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
You just weren't clear. Never mind.

EDIT:
not pertinent to thread, PM him with your question
I don't take orders from you. OP mentioned it, so I asked about it. It's plain to see what you're doing, you haven't attempted to chastise anyone else that has strayed way, waaay off topic. Again, he mentioned it, it's pertinent to his thread, and I won't discuss your abuse of power further. You are a mod, aren't you?

I'm going to try it, but I don't think you can kill the engine with the kickstand and coast much at all, at least not without a lot of unnecessary dinking around. I could be wrong and will be the first to admit it. I just don't think you can get the engine stopped and still have any momentum left to coast anywhere, not with any sort of convenience.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
The above is my first reply in this thread, for the benefit of those following this, I will attempt to clarify.

ISO is International Something or Other (you will have to look it up, bn too long). ISO standardized the terminal numbering system on ISO relays worldwide over half my lifetime ago.

A #30 terminal does the same thing on any ISO relay regardless of size, shape or quantity of terminals. 30, 85, 86, 87and 87a will be found on any 5 terminal ISO relay worldwide regardless of terminal configuration.

Once understood I/anybody can wire any relay anywhere.

There used to be 4 terminal ISO relays, I have not seen one lately. 4 terminal relays use the same standard ISO numbering. They will have 87 or 87a, but not both.

edit-yes, I have wired a few relays.

edit2-International Organization for Standardization

1 - 20 of 32 Posts