Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have a partially stripped screw on my brake master cylinder.

Once it started to give I stopped trying to remove it, but I need to get it out because my brake fluid looks like mud.

Question is should I just drill it out, and then remove all the brake fluid from the master cylinder to prevent metal shavings int he brake line, or does someone have a better suggestion?

I have never been good at removing stripped screws, just kinda always figure out a way to do it somehow, but I figured I really don't want to F this up.

Boggles my mind that I have no problem removing the tires to be changed and performing a spline lube, but I can't perform a simple operation like taking the cover off the BMC! :doh:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ive had two older bikes with this problem, they were seized and all 4 were stripped. I took the master cylinder off, and used an impact driver. one medium smack with a hammer and it cracks them loose. I ordered new screws from kawasakipartsnation.com Bikebandit.com has cheeper shipping, but higher part prices. familiar with an impact driver?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I went looking for mine this morning, of course I haven't seen it in about 6 years since I never need it. The one time I need it and its gone. Looks like i'm making a trip to Home Depot

·
Registered
98 Posts
An impact is the best way to go, however I did it the redneck way and used a flathead and a hammer. The screws are really soft and I sort of made a slot and hammered it in a counterclockwise direction and it loosened up. Lowes has the right replacement screws in their metric bins too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Whatever it takes. I had the same issue. I used a sears ez-out set. It destroyed the head. Which is all you need in order to remove the cap. after the cap is off the M.C. you can just grab it w/your fingers and unscrew it. It's a 6mm screw btw. I just replaced em both with some stainless ones I have. They look great and won't ever rust!
Just my .02

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

As I was dropping off the front wheel & tire at the shop to get mounted I just picked up a new impact driver and got it off no problem.

Probably gonna find my old one tomorrow now that I have two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts