Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All-

Buying some tires tomorrow for my bike. Just wondering where you guys have all found the best prices?? I think so far I have found the best prices at BikeBandit. I'm looking at the Pirelli MT 66 Route Motorcycle Tire. Front tire 110/90-19. Back Tire 150/90-15. I welcome all feedback on the brand of tire I have picked to the size... and of course if anyone knows of any deals or sales out there. I appreciate your time!

Ps... Both tires are coming to around $185 at that site.

Thanks

Jay Duke

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Those are good tires, but the front size is wrong. It is supposed to be 100/90-19. Using tires that are two sizes too big will likely cause clearance and handling problems. As far as prices, there are a couple dozen well known places online that sell tires, and any one of them could be having a sale at any time. A 150/90-15 is not going to be cheap anywhere. I wish the Vulcan had narrower 18" rear tires (kind of like the 1500 Mean Streak) but it was designed for the 150/90-15, so that is what I use.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry-

Thanks for the reply and your thoughts!

Question. I had been searching a lot on tire sizes and it seems many members are upgrading the front tire for better handling and to make the speedometer more accurate. May I ask your thoughts on that?

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2880

That is a link to one of the places I got that information.

And in my original post I put the tire size I was going with incorrectly. It was the 110/90-19.

Thanks again for your feedback and time!

Jay

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Most people that have tried Shinko tires seemed to like them. Under $135 for both delivered. I bought some but haven't put them on yet. Try rockymountainatv.com. I did upsize both.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kelly THanks!

They have the front tire but not the rear..... It's ok I will keep looking for it on another site. Does anyone have an experience with these tires they would be willing to share?

Thanks!

Jay

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got a shinko 110/90/19 on the front of my bike. I am very happy bike seems to handle a lot better though my front tire was very shot. I think it came to 80 installed.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Put the Pirelli's on shortly after I got the bike. Went one size up on the front. Got 14,000 miles on the rear and replaced with car tire. Front has a thousand or so miles left on it. Performed well for me.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I got the Shinkos too from a local place that's now out of bussiness. I went with the 110 up front and the 170 out back and didn't have issues, much much better than the old worn out Dun-flops that were on it when I got it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback all!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I haven't tried to change the front tire size because I haven't had any problems with the stock tires performance. I have used 3 different brands (Bridgestone, Pirelli, and Metzler) on my Vulcan 750s, in the stocks sizes, and am totally satisfied with all of them. The VN750 handles exceptionally well for a cruiser. I wouldn't mind trying a 110 front tire, but the problem is cost. If I didn't like it as much as the 100, I'd be out the cost of the tire. I already made that mistake on a Honda Rebel. I went with one size larger in the front, and had clearance issues. I wound up replacing it with the stock tire, and throwing away a perfectly good tire, just because it didn't fit. Many others on the Rebel forum claimed they ran that tire without problems. But I have read on other forums about people elongating the mounting holes in the front fender so they could raise it to get clearance for a larger tire. As far as I am concerned, that destroys the fender.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently bought a Metzeler ME 880 Marathon 110/90/19 front tire for mine, and it fits perfect, no mods needed. I got it from here: http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/2105/SKU/1200181 cost $125 after shipping, and only took a week. Still riding on the 150/90-15 on the rear, lots of tread life left; going to replace that with the Metzeler 170/80-15 when the time comes.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Those are good tires, but the front size is wrong. It is supposed to be 100/90-19. Using tires that are two sizes too big will likely cause clearance and handling problems.
Nyet; not on this bike. The 110 handles better than the 100, whether the rear tire is stock or oversize. The only clearance problem might be getting the wheel back on the bike; I didn't have to remove a caliper for the stock tire size, but did to put the 110 on.

The 110 is only one tire size larger than the 100, not two. As for any other problems, I haven't had any, and I got 23K out of the last cheap-ass Cheng-Shinn I had on the front, and nearly 20K out of the one before that. Tread was still plenty good, but the sidewalls were starting to weathercrack.

Altho the oversize rear wasn't specifically addressed here, I'll add that handling improves over the stock 150 there. I was the first one to try it on a 750; it'd already been done for years on the 1500A, which uses the same rear tire. It was being discussed on the Yahoo group, and KM said he didn't think it'd fit without swingarm clearance issues, so I did a little research, picked up a used 'Stoner, and tried it, marking the sidewalls with tire crayon, and proceeded to try it at different tire pressures. No rubbing, the ride was more solid than the stock sized Dunlop, and handling was better. First thing I did was get a 170/80-15 Dunlop D404 and switch it out. Got nearly 11K out of that tire, changed it out for a new ME880, and currently have nearly 16K on the Metz, and a lot of miles left on it. (FWIW, I've ridden a couple different bikes with car tires on the rear; I didn't like it)

JMHO, and while I respect yours, until you've tried it, it's just that--an opinion.

Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shinko Tourmasters

Put on 110/90-19ft and 170/80-15 rr. They r great and I have about 2500mi on them. Rode thru pouring rain, sleet, snow. No problems with how they felt.
Paid 135 for the pair and no, I do not look at them as cheap tires. They just don't feel like that. They r quite stable.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I wish the Vulcan had narrower 18" rear tires (kind of like the 1500 Mean Streak) but it was designed for the 150/90-15, so that is what I use.
Meanie's have 17" radials front and rear.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I recently bought a Metzeler ME 880 Marathon 110/90/19 front tire for mine, and it fits perfect, no mods needed. I got it from here: http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/2105/SKU/1200181 cost $125 after shipping, and only took a week. Still riding on the 150/90-15 on the rear, lots of tread life left; going to replace that with the Metzeler 170/80-15 when the time comes.
If you have a Cycle Gear nearby, they will match any printed price and then mount & balance for ~ $20 per wheel (provided you roll them in the door).

This is what I have done on my past few sets of tires.

Jon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts