Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I need a little help. While taking off my reed valve covers to coaster, one of the bolts snapped at the face of the reed valve. I took off the valve and had about half an inch of bolt sticking out. I tried spraying it with WD40 and waited. Then I tried an impact driver and a vise grip. I thought it was turning with the grips, but then it just snapped off further down. Now I have a little nub, see picture, about 1/4 inch maybe sticking out and I don't know what to do. I thought about heating it up, but am not sure if using an open flame here is very safe. Also before telling me to drill it out, please be more detailed, b/c I don't really know how to do that. Same with a tap/punch. I think that is what they are used for but need more of an explanation.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Use penatrating spray and hit it with a hammer use the vise grips and work it back and forth. Repeat this over and over till it hopefully it give way and comes out. If that doesn't do it, drilling is the next option.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ok, so I need a little help. While taking off my reed valve covers to coaster, one of the bolts snapped at the face of the reed valve. I took off the valve and had about half an inch of bolt sticking out. I tried spraying it with WD40 and waited. Then I tried an impact driver and a vise grip. I thought it was turning with the grips, but then it just snapped off further down. Now I have a little nub, see picture, about 1/4 inch maybe sticking out and I don't know what to do. I thought about heating it up, but am not sure if using an open flame here is very safe. Also before telling me to drill it out, please be more detailed, b/c I don't really know how to do that. Same with a tap/punch. I think that is what they are used for but need more of an explanation.

Thanks in advance.
In the spirit of friendship, you, and all the other new folk, really should take time to read through other posts. Simply click search at top of each page.
There is a ton of info on here about all kinds of stuff including how to remove broken studs. Start with Deep Creep or PB Blaster...soak for 24 hours....it will come out with vise grips

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
In the spirit of friendship, you, and all the other new folk, really should take time to read through other posts. Simply click search at top of each page.
There is a ton of info on here about all kinds of stuff including how to remove broken studs. Start with Deep Creep or PB Blaster...soak for 24 hours....it will come out with vise grips
Go with Doc's advice first.
If the bolt has broken flush to the surface then you will have to drill down the center and use a stud removal tool (it look a bit like an over sized drill bit with a reverse spiral on it to get it out.
If this fails then you wil have to gradually drill out the old bolt using slightly bigger drill bits each time until the old bolt collapses and falls out, then run a blind tap down the hole to clean the thread out.
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts