Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I don't think it had the time to circulate. it was on for 2-3 minutes before I shut it off to ask you guys. I'll have time to run it tomorrow and check the temps. hopefully it'll get better
Ok, could still be some air in the cooling system. That might account for one cylinder getting hot so quickly.

I wouldn't pull the carbs until we know what's going on, if it's running on both cylinders now, the carbs may be ok.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok, could still be some air in the cooling system. That might account for one cylinder getting hot so quickly.

I wouldn't pull the carbs until we know what's going on, if it's running on both cylinders now, the carbs may be ok.
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. But how do you know if a cylinder is actually running?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. But how do you know if a cylinder is actually running?

Usually by the temperature of each pipe at the head. The exhaust mixes in the goat's belly, so checking at the tailpipe isn't very accurate.

Once you're used to the bike and how it runs, you'll know by the 50% loss in power and idle speed.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Usually by the temperature of each pipe at the head. The exhaust mixes in the goat's belly, so checking at the tailpipe isn't very accurate.

Once you're used to the bike and how it runs, you'll know by the 50% loss in power and idle speed.
Wow! So even if I Lose a whole cylinder the bike will still run, V twins are amazing.

I'll do some experimentation and get back to you on this

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Wow! So even if I Lose a whole cylinder the bike will still run, V twins are amazing.

I'll do some experimentation and get back to you on this

I forgot the easy test, pull the plug wires from one cylinder.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Merry Christmas, and a happy new year. finally got to do some testing, both cylinders work. bike runs beautifully without any problems. ran it for 2 hours and the weird white smoke went away on its own.
I'm getting a reading of 400 degrees directly where the exhaust pipe connects to the engine. is that normal or too hot?

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Merry Christmas, and a happy new year. finally got to do some testing, both cylinders work. bike runs beautifully without any problems. ran it for 2 hours and the weird white smoke went away on its own.
I'm getting a reading of 400 degrees directly where the exhaust pipe connects to the engine. is that normal or too hot?
Honestly don't know what it should read, but I'd say that's about right since it's firing correctly.

The white smoke was probably just water vapor. If you live in an area that has winter, you'll see that a lot on almost any vehicle.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well I guess I have a fully working bike now. time to do some learning.
I really can't thank you enough guys. couldn't have done it without you!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts