Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
We're neighbors. I'm in Granite Bay, just moved here last year. maybe we'll get together after I get this bike to work and actually learn how to ride it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Granite Bay is not to far from me. Hopefully you won't have any problems sorting out your bike and will get to enjoy it. When it stops raining anyway. The Vulcan is a very fun bike to zip around on and easy to ride if you don't have any bad habits to loose from riding other bikes. The forward controls are great but not what I was used to and the foot pegs are not what I was used to either. Because of that, I used to practice the "stop and drop" very often. At least the Vulcan is easy to pick up when it falls down. Good luck getting it running.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Granite Bay is not to far from me. Hopefully you won't have any problems sorting out your bike and will get to enjoy it. When it stops raining anyway. The Vulcan is a very fun bike to zip around on and easy to ride if you don't have any bad habits to loose from riding other bikes. The forward controls are great but not what I was used to and the foot pegs are not what I was used to either. Because of that, I used to practice the "stop and drop" very often. At least the Vulcan is easy to pick up when it falls down. Good luck getting it running.
thank you! I think I have everything that I need. I'll get the work done and keep you guys in the loop.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update: this is what I did so far:

1. Oil change
2. Coolant change
3. New Battery
4. Cleaned Carbs.
5. Finished the Ear shave
6. Installed original K&N Filters
7.Found Radiator Cover - installed
8. Changed spark plugs
9. Put vaccum caps instead of coasters (For now)
10. Installed Crank case filter
11. installing fuel tank now.

Last step before I try to start it, the elbow connections of the petcock are fuel lines and go to the carbs. so the middle gold one is vaccum right. does it attach to the left carb vent as shown in picture?
The right fuel line might be running slightly up. I'll correct it in a second.

Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Motorcycle accessories Reflex camera

After I'm done installing the tank and petcock. what's the usual process for starting a bike this old? add seafoam and gas to tank, switch the petcock to ON, ignition to ON, switch from OFF to RUN, then just press START?

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Yes, center port on the petcock connects to the carb vacuum, as circled.

It's a good idea after a long storage to crank a few turns, pause a couple seconds, crank, pause, etc., until it fires. The cranking opens the petcock, pausing allows time to let the carbs fill. Also helps prevent too much heat on the battery and starter.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey she runs!! still got some problems but she runs.

in the video there is a knock sound that comes and goes. once around the 6 seconds and the 30 seconds mark.

also the Left exhaust is getting VERY hot. I scorched my finger just touching it for less than a second. and there's smoke coming out somewhere in there. the video is in the link. the right exhaust is fine

take a look and tell me what you think.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Doesn't sound bad, might have a tiny bit of cam chain tensioner noise, but it doesn't sound terrible in the video.
thank you. what do you recommend regarding the smoke coming out and the rear cylinder exhaust heating up?

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
thank you. what do you recommend regarding the smoke coming out and the rear cylinder exhaust heating up?
That's probably just a bit of oil or coolant, or an oily fingerprint burning off the pipe. Sounds like it may have been pretty warm though (in the 22 second video). Don't recall mine ticking much after shutdown.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That's probably just a bit of oil or coolant, or an oily fingerprint burning off the pipe. Sounds like it may have been pretty warm though (in the 22 second video). Don't recall mine ticking much after shutdown.
warm is an understatement. it almost burned the skin of my finger off. I read somewhere that if the fuel mixture is too rich it might cause that. I think I'll post again in the Technical section since maybe someone had that problem.
couldn't have made it this far without you guys!

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
warm is an understatement. it almost burned the skin of my finger off. I read somewhere that if the fuel mixture is too rich it might cause that. I think I'll post again in the Technical section since maybe someone had that problem.
couldn't have made it this far without you guys!
Rich usually makes them run cooler, lean makes them hotter. That's why the pipes turn blue, a lean mixture making heat.

Right up beside the head, the pipe normally gets hot real quick, but the cool down creaking sounds like it was extra warm.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Rich usually makes them run cooler, lean makes them hotter. That's why the pipes turn blue, a lean mixture making heat.

Right up beside the head, the pipe normally gets hot real quick, but the cool down creaking sounds like it was extra warm.
those creaking sounds and scorching heat was only after about 2 minutes of runtime. something is off here

·
Registered
194 Posts
Congrats on getting her started and running. I didn't really hear anything bad on the video. Mine used to exhibit bad ACCT sounds more after first starting but not so much at the rpms you were at (it looked like around 3000+)' My loudest knocking would be noticeable at idle. Then it really did sound like you would imagine a rod knock could, except it was not as rhythmic and steady as a rod is.

If you pull the plugs you may see some indication of how the fuel is burning. When you pulled the carbs to clean them did you get a chance to see what jets are in them. Since you are finishing a project it is kind of 50/50 as to if the carbs had been rejetted in prep for the ear shave. Depending on how long you let it run in total it may not be overly hot. It did sound normal for a bike just after a ride. Not normal for a bike just started up following a oil change to check for leaks. Regardless congratulations again.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Congrats on getting her started and running. I didn't really hear anything bad on the video. Mine used to exhibit bad ACCT sounds more after first starting but not so much at the rpms you were at (it looked like around 3000+)' My loudest knocking would be noticeable at idle. Then it really did sound like you would imagine a rod knock could, except it was not as rhythmic and steady as a rod is.

If you pull the plugs you may see some indication of how the fuel is burning. When you pulled the carbs to clean them did you get a chance to see what jets are in them. Since you are finishing a project it is kind of 50/50 as to if the carbs had been rejetted in prep for the ear shave. Depending on how long you let it run in total it may not be overly hot. It did sound normal for a bike just after a ride. Not normal for a bike just started up following a oil change to check for leaks. Regardless congratulations again.
Thanks! always happy when something works. So some random knocking is normal for now.
didn't get the chance to check the Jet sizes, but the guy gave me everything he had including his helmet, and the tiny Philips screws he pulled off the bike. I would have to assume he never changed jets, he didn't even full remove the air box. just disconnected the hoses.
I've been reading around, I might have overfilled the oil a tiny bit. I'll remove some and try again tomorrow. I'll take some reading of the exhaust with an infrared thermometer I got off work.
But overall, I'm happy

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

so Rich means more air than gas, lean is the opposite. thanks!

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
so Rich means more air than gas, lean is the opposite. thanks!
No, rich means too much fuel, not enough air.

Lean is not enough fuel, too much air.

If it's so lean it gets that hot in two minutes, I have to think one of the carbs still has a blocked jet or circuit.

Since it's doing this at idle, I would suspect a clogged pilot jet or circuit, or the float is stuck closed.

But first, let's be sure what's happening. The temp gun is a good start.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
No, rich means too much fuel, not enough air.

Lean is not enough fuel, too much air.

If it's so lean it gets that hot in two minutes, I have to think one of the carbs still has a blocked jet or circuit.

Since it's doing this at idle, I would suspect a clogged pilot jet or circuit, or the float is stuck closed.

But first, let's be sure what's happening. The temp gun is a good start.
I checked the Jets, they were spotless. there is a possibility of a clog somewhere else since that is the only thing that I checked. I can pull the carbs again as a worst case scenario to check em again.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 750
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Has it been running much since you changed the coolant?

Just wondering if it's completely full of coolant yet.
I don't think it had the time to circulate. it was on for 2-3 minutes before I shut it off to ask you guys. I'll have time to run it tomorrow and check the temps. hopefully it'll get better

21 - 40 of 49 Posts