Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing the cruzers on a 2002 Vulcan and I'm having two issues. On the left (short) side the exhaust basically touches the bolt to release the rear wheel. Is this for everyone that has done this?

The other issue is that my rear brake when pressed hits the exhaust pipe. If I loosen bolts up at the flange it gives the exhaust the slack it wants but then obviously its not tight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated at this point... I've seached a little and it doesnt seem like anyone is complaining about this stuff.

-Edit: Attached Pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Did you put in new exhaust flanges? I suspect that would give you a little more clearance on the short side. Same for the Brake lever issue, but you can also make adjustments to the brake lever at the pedal, as well as at the brake hub in order to clear that side.

I personally used new HD gaskets, and did not take out my old gaskets (because they seemed to be fused to the exhaust manifold) giving me what I think is extra clearance.

Hope this is clear and helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt use new flanges, I tried putting a few washers on where the acorn bolts are and as soon as you start to get it tight is where the exhaust looks like its meant to sit. I can move the pedal up a little but not much cause I dont know when the brake actually starts to activate and I dont want to burn the brake out. I'm pretty new at this stuff.

one of the bolts on the short side into the block is now pulling out with the acorn nut... I'm going to have to find a way to separate them... yay..

So you just used another exhaust gasket in each? Do you have the size or part number I'd need?

Did you put in new exhaust flanges? I suspect that would give you a little more clearance on the short side. Same for the Brake lever issue, but you can also make adjustments to the brake lever at the pedal, as well as at the brake hub in order to clear that side.

I personally used new HD gaskets, and did not take out my old gaskets (because they seemed to be fused to the exhaust manifold) giving me what I think is extra clearance.

Hope this is clear and helps

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness dfbonney.
I don`t have the V&H Cruisers but wonder if you can take the brake pedal off, clamp the splined end in a solid vice and bend the lever away from a bike a degree or two.

It might need to be heated locally with an acetylene torch to be able to bend it.
Not sure if that will weaken it or discolor the chrome finish too much though.
I have heard of others who have heated a shift lever to alter the height of the shift pedal, so I don`t see why the brake lever can`t be heated as well. <shrug>

Can you bend the mounting bracket for the left pipe a couple of degrees too?
Or possibly insert 2 or 3 washers/spacers between the frame and the muffler bracket to give the desired clearance?

I`m not sure how practical any of these ideas are, but it is what first comes to mind. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts