Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My upper front cam chain jumped one tooth (was just idling/warming with MCCT lock nut loose so I could adjust). began to chatter a bit, and i noticed the MCCT bolt backing out some. Shut her down immediately. :(

When both upper cam sprockets are set to where they need to be, the timing line lines up with the "T" in the FT stamp (clockwise of TDC). Guessing retarded then ? Bike runs, no nasty noises, but an occasional backfire into the intake.

Question is : Can I shift the cams/chain over one tooth without removing the head ? The chain loosens some when I back out the MCCT. Is there an easier way to get the chain more loose, w/o pulling the engine and head ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I'd like to help but I don't know the answer. Hopefully you'll get an answer soon. Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Have you got the service manual?If not look up kanuck 69 and down load the online one on here.I would suspect that if it jumped more than one tooth you may have bent a valve.Doesn't sound like it though.

If you down load the manual you will be able to see where the marks should by with each piston where it is supposed to be.

Did the mcct's loosen up enough to allow it to jump or are your cam chains excessively worn,The DOHC Kaws are kinda hard to time with out being able to see everything at once,I hope you can figure out which cam or if both cams moved on ya,or do you think it jumped one tooth on the sprocket driving them.

I hate to hear this happened to ya,but it can be overcame ,although you may have to dig deeper than you want to make sure it's all in time.which I would recommend just to be sure Ihad it right,but you're gonna have to make that call.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have both the Clymers actual book, and the PDF manual. Still doesnt really tell ya how to set the cams in relation to chain.
Im almost sure I jumped just one tooth on the single intermediate sprocket, as both cam sprockets are "right" in relation to each other.
Condition of sprockets and chain was actually really good considering its an'85 with only 20k on it. Normal wear, but nothing blatantly bad.
Now, I noticed a large bolt head on the head facing the carb where there's supposed to be a spring that pushes on the upper tensioner. Wonder if I removed that, if Id have enough slack in the chain. May as well try, got nothing to lose by doing it.
What I though about doing (since lower chain and intermediate cog is where they should be at TDC) is to set the lower to TDC, then slip the chain away from the cam cogs individually and rotate them to where they should be.
If I gotta pull the motor, I may as well sell it. I cant do it by myself due to physical disabilities.

Gimme back my oil leaking pushrods and rockers !...lol....

Thanks.... :beerchug::smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I found that the main tension spring(found behind the large bolt in line with carb intake) loosened up my chain significantly. Still kinda tight though. I think mebbe if I remove the front upper chainguide, I can do it....its either that, or remove the cam covers, OR yank the motor, which I cant do.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
The Vulcan 750 motor can be a real PITA to work on, which is why I often complain about it's complexity. I see no reason why it needs 4 cam chains instead of 2, like all other Japanese v-twins (with the single exception of the Suzuki TL1000) The Vulcan 800 only has 2 cam chains, and so does the Suzuki Intruder, which is just a hair faster than the Vulcan, so it was not for performance. Watch Roaches videos. I believe that to get it timed right, you have to pull the heads and count links.

The motor is not all that hard to get out, you don't have to lift anything. Just put a transmission jack or something similar under it, remove the right frame section, remove the engine mount bolts, and wiggle it out of the frame. The hard part, or at least the most time consuming, is disconnecting and removing all the stuff that attaches to the engine.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gonna try to pull the cam cover off first, and see if I can slip the chain one tooth then. If that dont work, gonna need to yank the engine, and gonna need to wait for summer for that (too cold in the garage). Sucks too, because supposed to be almost 80 on Monday. :(
May as well do the clutch at same time then too. Stator and R/R has been done.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed the sucker !...loosened up/removed the 2 upper tensioners (MCCT and main), set the cam cogs at TDC, stuck punches in the holes to lock em in, then jiggled the rotor back and forth until it jumped the intermediate gear back to where it was. Took a 20 mi ride, and all was cool. Whew ! Not dead in the water after all ! :D

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Fixed the sucker !...loosened up/removed the 2 upper tensioners (MCCT and main), set the cam cogs at TDC, stuck punches in the holes to lock em in, then jiggled the rotor back and forth until it jumped the intermediate gear back to where it was. Took a 20 mi ride, and all was cool. Whew ! Not dead in the water after all ! :D
Awesome to hear! Helpful information as well..

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
good to hear,man:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far so good...went on a ride to next town (15 mi one way) and got up to 75-80 a few times (too many cops around today to try faster) smooth as silk. One of them TV Chopper show guys (wont say who) was on the same road with some friends doing a nice legal 55 (they come thru here at times)...musta crapped his pants when I went blowin by them at almost 90, lol.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
one of them chopper show guys(the older one) has some property up here and has eaten in one of our pizzerias.whould've loved to seen the look on his moustached face as you whipped by him.

·
Registered
145 Posts
:smiley_th:beerchug:way to go wolfie, glad to see up and running . you dont need one of those high priced customs to have fun! wonder if he is still brushing the rice out of his mustache and hair:beerchug::wow:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
:smiley_th:beerchug:way to go wolfie, glad to see up and running . you dont need one of those high priced customs to have fun! wonder if he is still brushing the rice out of his mustache and hair:beerchug::wow:
The rice is flavored with sesame seed sauce spiked Seafoam isn`t it? :doh:

·
Registered
145 Posts
forgot these rice burners have the seafoam flavor additive:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...with a slight scent of a delicate moonshine, vintage 1985 !
...moustache ?...who said it was him ? ;)
...them guys are only a half hour ride from here, so I see em often going thru town. LOTTA bikes come thru here. 4 VN750s in 2 days, and I dont know any of em.
BTW...logged almost 200mi after the chain fix, so I may be able to make Americade. My neighbor with an older Kawi Concourse might come too. Thatd be cool.
Gonna take the sevice roads up, I wanna ride past The Band's "Big Pink"...found out today Levon Helm has cancer and wont be around much longer. :( ....end of an era...I played volleyball at Big Pink....damn......:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts