Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Yeah I've put a few miles on this year haha. Something like 8-10k on this bike since the end of fall. My "real biker" H-D riding friends don't do 1/10 that usually. ;)

USB has been disconnected for over a week to rule it out. I do have a professional DMM at home but no transportation to get one here yet. I'm hoping replacing the terminal on the white + will get me to a home depot to get another DMM and check my stator and everything.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
One side of this thing is broken off, and it looks like someone's monkeyed with it before. 2nd pic, the terminal is scorched and the plastic on the connector is melted and cracked. This looked ok before I left home. I think it started slipping out in the middle of the ride (ha) and that's why it started losing power and scorching? But it ran above a certain RPM.. I guess I'll see what it does now.

She has a new terminal on, standard type without the barb to hold it into the connector, but it fits tight and should do what it needs to until I get home to my real tools. I'm going to go for a test ride as soon as SWMBO gets back to the apartment in case I need another jump. Again lol

·
Registered
456 Posts
[Do any auto stores carry the harness side of the plug? I don't want to trust the melted plastic to hold things together/QUOTE]

Yaaa...what Merc said...def....and shoot Slim a PM....he has a list of compatible plugs and sources....but honestly bro....I would spend my forst dime on a decent volt/ohmmeter....home depot has em for 18 bucks that are decent....ya gotta be able to check continuity and outputs, as well as resistance....dont spend yer money "guessin"....get the tool first....
I wont steer ya wrong...we've met, I poured a beer on yer head to de-virginize ya, lol....and I'll never lie to ya now...yer a brother....spend the money on a halfway decent diagnostic tool....take it from a fossil....
Hex if you need a meter Ill ship you one,, just PM me your address.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
Stator windings all read 0.50 (within range of 0.34 to 0.52). Haven't checked running because battery is still on a charger.

R/R readings:
A1-A3 between each other, 1

B-M 30.7 @ 200k, 1 at 2M range, 1 at 200 range (Is this infinite or 30.7k ohms? Is this ok?)
B-G 20.4 @ 200k, 1 at 200 range (inf or ok?)
B-A123 15.4 @ 200k, 1 at 200 range (inf or ok?)

M-B 15.1k, 1 at 200 range (OK)
M-G 20.5, 1 at 200 range (OK)
M-A123 1 at all ranges (OK?)

G-B 1 at all ranges (Should be < 2 k ?)
G-M 1 at all ranges (should be < 5 k ?)
G-A123 1 at all ranges (Should be .2 - .6 k?)

A123-B 15.3 at 200k for all 3 (15k and should be 200-600 ohms?)
A123-M 1 for all 3 (OK)
A123-G 1 for all 3 (OK)

So.... it looks like the R/R is shot again? Can I get a confirmation on this before I throw money at it? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
any little multimeter will work, most do AC and DC voltage these days, a really cruddy one can be had for under $20

kenny

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I was able to get my hands on one and the readings are above. Is anyone with experience able to tell me whether to pull the trigger on a R/R?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
Yup.just replaced the. new one i bought in the beginning of summer with the one offa my parts bike.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
You still with the model ?....if so, stay there a bit (hay, Id move in)....Im sure someone has a spare R/R they can send ya....if Slim says its yer R/R....means its yer R/R....

And dood...ya always carry some basic tools....phillips, flat, 10mm, vise grips, channellocks.....that way ya can sneak into a scrapyard at night and yoink one if ya needed to....and bein a righteous human being, naturally you'd mail them payment later.....

Im supposed to get my pension check the 1st of each month....lately its been late....but if I get it in time, I can help ya out.....

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
pick up a cheap charger, make sure the bike dies near an outlet each day. Disconnect the headlight, I bet on a full battery you get about 5 hours of ignition easily.

kenny

·
Registered
95 Posts
Give us a location

Hex ,

Where are you, maybe one of us is close enough to help with a garage, tools etc. Most of us are always up to help a brother.

I have been staying out of this as most of the responders know more about these things than I do. I do have a second bike that will be a project over the winter. If we know where you are, one of us will send you parts to get you home. I am in the Atlanta metro area. We will be waiting to hear back from you. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
pick up a cheap charger, make sure the bike dies near an outlet each day. Disconnect the headlight, I bet on a full battery you get about 5 hours of ignition easily.
kenny
This.

If I remember correctly, one of the members that attended a Gathering had his stator crap out on him. He had a charger and picked up another battery (cheap wet cell) charged both and left for home.

The first battery went out after several hours and he switched to the second....enough to get him to a motel for the night where he charged both batteries and repeated the same the next day. He disconnected the headlight, tail light and running lights.
Pick likely remembers this better. He might have actually used a car battery, not sure.....but made it the several hundred miles home.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
If the bike gets enuff juice to keep running could always get a jump pack.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
Knowin Hex it wouldn't suprise me if he's pushin his bike home.he's determinrd like that.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts