Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks --

OLD PROBLEM: Last week I had what I'm pretty sure is an unrelated carb problem. The bike would not idle below about 1700 rpm even with the idle turned high. Above 1700 rpm it runs great! I've been soaking the carbs with Seafoam for the last 2 days. Today when I tried to start it, it won't turn over. However, I think this new problem has nothing to do with the old carb problem.

NEW PROBLEM: The engine won't crank. It won't turn over. When I press the start button it makes the usual sound like the starter wants to (or barely begins to) engage but it can't. It's more than just a clicking sound. I think it maybe the starter but I really don't know?
* MF battery is fully charged
* lights are bright with key on

Any ideas on how to diagnose?

Many Thanx!

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Check all connections on the battery? Wire brush them clean and tighten, sounds to me possibly a bad connection

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Hi Folks --

OLD PROBLEM: Last week I had what I'm pretty sure is an unrelated carb problem. The bike would not idle below about 1700 rpm even with the idle turned high. Above 1700 rpm it runs great! I've been soaking the carbs with Seafoam for the last 2 days. Today when I tried to start it, it won't turn over. However, I think this new problem has nothing to do with the old carb problem.

NEW PROBLEM: The engine won't crank. It won't turn over. When I press the start button it makes the usual sound like the starter wants to (or barely begins to) engage but it can't. It's more than just a clicking sound. I think it maybe the starter but I really don't know?
* MF battery is fully charged
* lights are bright with key on

Any ideas on how to diagnose?

Many Thanx!

Check battery, frame and engine grounds also the starter bolts and solenoid connections. .:smiley_th

Maybe one gremlin bell was not enough? :doh:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check battery, frame and engine grounds also the starter bolts and solenoid connections. .:smiley_th

Maybe one gremlin bell was not enough? :doh:
Lance and WK --

Thanx for your quick responses. :beerchug: I'll follow your suggestions and let you all know.
Yep, time for a second gremlin bell. . . or a new bike...#%^#!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
X3 on the cleaning of connections. Get a little sandpaper to clean everything up with, including the starter main wire from the solenoid.
Thanx Fergy! :beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If after trying all the above suggestions, it still won`t start, try running a jumper cable from the battery positive post directly down to the terminal on the starter. If that works, then you know there is a problem in the starter circuit somewhere.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I know you said the MF battery was fully charged, but what's the actual voltage when key is off and when key is in the on position? I assume you have the correct battery for the bike, and I see you have a voltmeter connected. Is it a digital or LED voltmeter?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I would remove the plugs, or at least one from each cylinder to make sure that the engine is not locked down with fuel in the cylinders.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If after trying all the above suggestions, it still won`t start, try running a jumper cable from the battery positive post directly down to the terminal on the starter. If that works, then you know there is a problem in the starter circuit somewhere.
this is a sure fire way of testing a starter,ol hoss is right use you car jumpers an clamp on the frame of the bike with the negative cable and touch the positive to the starter lead on the starter motor,but make surethe bike is in neutral and if it cranks the starter is fine, ,you can actually pull your car up close so you don't even have to take the seat off to test your starter.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soaking Carbs in Seafoam?

Ditto. (Was going to type the same thing)
Hoss, Rick, NRider, Denny and Doug --

Thanx for your ideas! I will try your suggestions this evening.

I've been soaking the carbs with Seafoam for 3 days but have not been able to start the bike due to the electrical/starter problem. How long can I leave the Seafoam in the carbs?

Many Thanx! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
it won't hurt them seafoam doesn't attack rubber parts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update:: Starter still won't turn

I would remove the plugs, or at least one from each cylinder to make sure that the engine is not locked down with fuel in the cylinders.
Howdy Folks --

UPDATE:
I tried several suggestions (photos attached) but I still have the same problem: :doh:

* cleaned & tightened: battery terminals, battery ground, frame ground, main starter cable, relay starter connections.

* checked battery power with multimeter across battery terminals: 13 volts with key off; 12.5 volts key on;

* Voltmeter on dash reads 11.7 with key on (and headlight on)

* tightened starter mounting bolts

* rear cylinder spark plugs are dripping wet with fuel even though the bike has not started in 4 days; front cylinder plugs okay

QUESTIONS: Do the wet plugs indicate the engine is locked down with fuel in the rear cylinder? What does this mean? How do I fix it?

Here's the problem again:
The engine won't crank. It won't turn over. When I press the start button it makes the usual sound like the starter wants to (or barely begins to) engage but it can't. It's more than just a clicking sound. Four days ago I filled the carbs with Seafoam due to a rough idle below 1700 rpm.

Any help is much appreciated! :beerchug:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
One thing that concerns me is the wet plugs. How's your oil level? I'm wondering if you are some how draining fuel into the back cylinder? Things look clean in your pictures. I see the carpet. Is that bike in your living room? ;)

Did you pull the positive wire off the solenoid and make sure its clean? Did you try jumping the bike directly to the starter? I'm kind of baffled right now, need to think about this and also see what others are thinking...:confused:

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Okay set the bike on the center stand. Remove spark plugs. Shift bike into the highest gear possible. Do this by turning rear wheel and shifting lever up. Use your hand to work shifter, turn wheel forward. Pour engine oil into the cylinder. Turn rear wheel by hand to ensure that engine is free to turn. Leave the key off. If engine frees up try using the starter. Be sure to ground the spark plug wires away from any gasoline that has been spilled. Hope this helps. Change oil before running engine. You may have fuel in oil. I think you will need to clean rear carb. The float is stuck or there is trash on the seat.

EDIT; Tie center stand forward to keep bike from falling.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
If the starter makes a clicking sound, most likely the battery is dead. Check with a voltmeter, see what happens when pressing start. I had a dead battery once, showed 12.2 with no load, pressed start and it went to zero. Starter off, 12.2 again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Need advice on jumping the Starter

Hoss and Everybody --

I'm still in the middle of trying the suggestions offered earlier but I want to try jumping the starter next.

Will the starter engage immediately when the jumper wire from the battery positive post is connected to the stater terminal? Does the key have to be on? Does the clutch have to be pulled in?

The bike has to be in neutral. Am I missing anything else?

If the problem acts the same way, then I either have a problem in the starter circuit or the engine is locked--right?

Thanx! :beerchug:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wet plugs--drain Seafoam?

One thing that concerns me is the wet plugs. How's your oil level? I'm wondering if you are some how draining fuel into the back cylinder? Things look clean in your pictures. I see the carpet. Is that bike in your living room? ;)

Did you pull the positive wire off the solenoid and make sure its clean? Did you try jumping the bike directly to the starter? I'm kind of baffled right now, need to think about this and also see what others are thinking...:confused:
Fergy and Folks --

The wet plugs could be from 4 days ago (Sunday) when the bike was idling poorly below 1700 rpms. It seemed to be running on one cylinder below 1700 rpms. I rode it in the neighborhood and it may have collected fuel in the rear cylinder during this time.

I drained the carbs on Sunday and filled them with Seafoam through the vent opening on the right side. As you suggest, I'm also wondering if somehow the Seafoam is draining into the rear cylinder?

Next, I'll check the oil; jump the starter; check positive wire off relay.
I'm nervous about the Seafoam soaking 4 days. Should I drain the carbs?

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Hoss and Everybody --

I'm still in the middle of trying the suggestions offered earlier but I want to try jumping the starter next.

Will the starter engage immediately when the jumper wire from the battery positive post is connected to the stater terminal? Does the key have to be on? Does the clutch have to be pulled in?

The bike has to be in neutral. Am I missing anything else?

If the problem acts the same way, then I either have a problem in the starter circuit or the engine is locked--right?

Here's what You do.........

Because Ron said so "Drain the Oil first"

Then Here's what You do After.........

Take the Cable off the Starter.
Pull the 2 bolts holding the starter on.
Pull the starter out.
Lay the starter across your Battery (The cable lug on the + and the case on -)
See if your starter turns OK.
And while you have it out. Take it apart, Clean & Lube it.
Then after you put it back together check it on the battery.

Mine when I hooked jumpers to it took off across the floor.
Much better then before I cleaned it.

Then put the starter back in where it goes and Don't forget to put the oil plug and oil back in.

OK Ron will that Do?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts