Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cwsoroka
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!
Okay guysH my motorcycle will not keep my battery above 12.5 volts. On a charger it will hold 13.4 volts. But when I turn the bike on, it drops to 12.5 and just slowly keeps falling until there isn't juice left and then the bike dies. I've tried 3 different batteries all with the same result. just got my bike back from the shop and they said all I needed was a new battery and that my charging system was working great. Any ideas??? Also, my head light will just randomly turn off for a half a day, then randomly turn back on. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as this bike is my daily rider. Right now I'm using a bicycle to go to work.

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
HELP!!!
Okay guysH my motorcycle will not keep my battery above 12.5 volts. On a charger it will hold 13.4 volts. But when I turn the bike on, it drops to 12.5 and just slowly keeps falling until there isn't juice left and then the bike dies. I've tried 3 different batteries all with the same result. just got my bike back from the shop and they said all I needed was a new battery and that my charging system was working great. Any ideas??? Also, my head light will just randomly turn off for a half a day, then randomly turn back on. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as this bike is my daily rider. Right now I'm using a bicycle to go to work.
When the headlight is on does it seem to be putting out the "right amount" of light? Just randomly turning on and off sounds more like a short or loose connection somewhere rather than a battery issue. Have you tried to see if the problem duplicates when running the high-beam? Were these batteries new? If not, did the shop load-test the battery? If the batteries have been tested as good then there's something that is keeping it from receiving a charge. Try the easy thing first...disconnect and clean the connectors and posts with some sand paper until they are shiny and corrosion free. Reconnect cables and ensure connections are tight. If that doesn't help then it could be your stator isn't working properly. It works like an alternator...the battery is used to start, but then the stator takes over to power the electrical system and charge the batter while the engine is running. If the stator isn't working then the battery is the only thing sending juice to the system, and it will be drained fairly quickly.

I don't have a lot of mechanical experience with motorcycles, but I believe the same basic electrical principles apply. Once you get the bike started disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal. If the engine dies then you've got a failing or bad stator....or possibly a bad voltage regulator. If it continues to run...I'm sure someone else on here that knows more will be able to give you some other ideas what to start checking. FYI: Don't use this method of testing on vehicles equipped with computers and circuit boards because you can fry the system causing thousands of dollars in repairs.

Good luck, my brother.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Doc's link is a good place to start.

If your headlight is acting funky, give the 'blue wire mod' a try. It bypasses a sometimes-faulty relay which could be causing a short, draining the battery faster than it's charging. Maybe. But, it's best to rule out likely culprits before chasing down unknown gremlins!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts