Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ticking in my front cylinder been told its the valves anyway to know for sure? its a 94 vulcan 750 been doin it forever still runs strong though

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
ticking in my front cylinder been told its the valves anyway to know for sure? its a 94 vulcan 750 been doin it forever still runs strong though
Details please,constant ticking or does it vary with engine temp?Is it a light ticking noise or is possibly timing chain slap(common problem ,easily cured) we need more info, it could be anything from a sticky lifter that is noisy to a cam chain issue.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Seeing this is your first post, I'm guessing the bike is new to you? Like Denny said, we need more info to help you track down the possibilities. The ACCT (automatic cam chain tensioner) quite often is the culpret. When this starts to fail it does create a ticking sound. You can try the grambo trick. Here is a link too it. CLICK ME

This often is a cure temporarily. But at least it can help evaluate the posibillities.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Like Kanuck said, the Grambo trick is usually a very short term cure.
However it is a quick and easy no cost test to determine if it is the Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner (ACCT), that is causing the noise.

If the Grambo trick quiets your ticking noise, there are several ways to fix it ranging in cost from almost nothing up to ~$100 for a set of TOC Manufacturings Manual CCTs.

Report back with results of the Grambo trick/test, and we will work from there.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
you can remove the cap screw from the acct while its running, you will see a flat slotted screwdriver hole inside there, when you hear the tick see if the slotted part is jumping around a little, if it does that is the culprit and an easy fix in several ways as mentioned. there is one on the front cylinder and one on the rear, most of us have problems with the front first, the rear seems to last a lot longer.
WHEN PUTTING THE CAPSCREW BACK ON JUST SNUG IT UP, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the threads are very weak in the housing!
1. a few ways to fix it, at first I disassembled the acct and put an extra turn on my spring to give more tension, worked for a while.
2.new acct springs from toc manufacturing 20 a cylinder
3.switch to mcct from toc, 50 a cylinder
4. homemade mcct from your old parts 4 dollars a cylinder
either route you take should fix it but number 1 and 2 are more temporary! 4 is the route I took and no problems since. # 3 is the preferred if money is not an issue.

oh, and by the way, welcome to the group!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thank you all for the help never done this before its already so helpful! well my front cylinder ticks continously only stops for maybe 3 secs at a time and only whenevers its idling.and if i put my hand on the top of the cylinder i can slightly feel the ticking in the motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that was it!

OK:beerchug: so i took the nut off the acct it was hopping all around in there i used a small Flathead and turned it clockwise it jumped back now it only ticks at a higher rev but no longer at an idle! :) thanks a bunch you guys are genius!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I seem to have seen that done some where else too! ltms. ;)
Easiest to find Jason LOL
And where did you think I found it at any way wib?I copied and pasted from your sig line ,I just thought he might not have noticed it there :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts